- Professor and Head of the Department
- W. Banzhaf
The degrees of Master of Science and Doctor of Philosophy are offered in Computer Science.
Admission into the Ph.D. program in Computer Science is normally restricted to candidates holding a Master's Degree (or equivalent) in Computer Science or a closely related area. Others may be considered for admission. See Qualifications for Admission of the General Regulations. International applicants are strongly encouraged to submit results of the (general) Graduate Record Examination (GRE) Test.
Each candidate for the Ph.D. shall complete a program of graduate courses prescribed by the supervisory committee. The normal minimum will be 9 credit hours.
The candidate shall take the Comprehensive Examination within the time limits specified in Comprehensive Examinations of the General Regulations. Students should consult the Departmental guidelines for a detailed description of the content of the Comprehensive Examination.
A selection of the following graduate courses will be offered to meet the requirements of candidates, as far as the resources of the Department will allow.
- 6711 Syntax and Semantics of Programming Languages
- 6713 Software Engineering
- 6731 Topics in Numerical Methods
- 6732 Matrix Computations
- 6738-6739 Special Topics in Numerical Methods
- 6742 Theory of Databases
- 6745 Special Topics - Advanced Computational Geometry
- 6752 Applications of Computer Graphics
- 6755 Knowledge-Based Systems
- 6756 Digital Image Processing
- 6758-6769 Special Topics in Computer Applications
- 6770-6790 Special Topics in Computer Science
- 6901 Applied Algorithms (credit may be obtained for only one of 6901 and 6783)
- 6902 Computational Complexity (credit may be obtained for only one of 6902 and 6743)
- 6903 Concurrent Computing
- 6904 Advanced Computer Architecture (credit may be obtained for only one of 6904 and 6722)
- 6907 Introduction to Data Mining (credit may be obtained for only one of 6907 and 6762)
- 6908 Database Technology and Applications (credit may be obtained for only one of 6908 and 6751)
- 6910 Services Computing, Semantic Web and Cloud Computing
- 6911 Bio-inspired Computing
- 6912 Autonomous Robotics (credit may be obtained for only one of 6912 and 6778)
- 6913 Bioinformatics
- 6915 Machine Learning
- 6916 Security and Privacy
- 6922 Compiling Methods (credit may be obtained for only one of 6922 and 6712)
- 6925 Advanced Operating Systems
- 6926 Performance Evaluation of Computer Systems