The degree is a four year single-discipline General Degree following the general degree regulations for the Bachelor of Arts of Sir Wilfred Grenfell College. Students entering the programme require the approval of the Programme Chair.
The Specialization in English consists of BOTH a minimum of forty-two credit hours in English [described in Category A below], and twenty-four credit hours in Cognate courses [described in Category B below].
A. The selection of the forty-two credit hours shall be based on the following regulations:
1. One of English 1000, 1050, the former 1100 AND one of English 1001, 1051, 1110 are prerequisites for all other courses.
2. Students who choose English as their specialization must complete a twenty-four credit hour English Core Requirement including six credit hours in first year English as defined in (1) above, English 2005, 2006, 2007, 3395, 3200 or 3201, 4105. Students must complete at least six credit hours in courses having the initial digit "4".
3. In addition to the Core courses listed in (2) above students will be required to take either a concentration of eighteen credit hours chosen from one of three designated areas (Dramatic Literature, Canadian Literature, Modern Literature) or a combination of eighteen credit hours from these areas, as defined in 3.d. below.
a) Dramatic Literature Concentration
Students will be required to take English 2350, 2351, 3275 and nine more credit hours in dramatic literature which must include the Individual Project in English (4950), from the following selection:
English 3021, 3171, 3181, 3200 or 3201 (whichever course has not been used to fulfil the requirements of the English Core), 4302, 4305, 4307, 4308, 4316, 4317, 4813, 4950.
b) Canadian Literature Concentration
Students will be required to take English 2152 and fifteen more credit hours in Canadian literature, at least six credit hours of which are in courses at the 3000 level and at least three credit hours of which are in courses at the 4000 level in addition to the Individual Project in English (4950), from the following selection:
English 2155, 2156, 3145, 3146, 3147, 3148, 4307, 4825, 4950.
c) Modern Literature Concentration
Students will be required to take English 3215, 3216 and twelve more credit hours in modern literature, at least three credit hours of which are in courses at the 4000 level in addition to the Individual Project in English (4950), from the following selection:
English 2215, 2705, 2805, 3810, 3275, 4245, 4246, 4950.
The following courses from the Dramatic Literature Concentration above: English 4302, 4305, 4308
d) Combined Concentration
Students will be required to take courses comprising at least nine credit hours in one of the concentrations listed above: the first of these courses must be English 2152 for the Canadian Literature concentration; English 2350 or 2351 for the Dramatic Literature concentration; English 3215 or 3216 for the Modern Literature concentration, and one of these courses must be the Individual Project in English (English 4950). Students must also take at least three credit hours from each of the two other concentrations.
4. No students shall register in any course having an initial digit "3" unless they have successfully completed at least six credit hours in courses having an initial digit "2".
5. No students shall register in any course having an initial digit "4" unless they have successfully completed at least six credit hours in courses having an initial digit "3".
6. In their final year, all candidates for the Grenfell College English degree will prepare an individual project of a creative or critical or research character, the topic of which must be approved by the Programme Chair.
7. Students cannot receive credit for more than one of English 1000, 1050, 1080, 1100 or for more than one of 1001, 1051, 1101, 1102, 1103, 1110.
8. A student may not receive credit for more than six credit hours at the first-year level. This includes unspecified trans-fer credits.
B. The Cognate Courses part of the Specialization in English must include a coherent set of twenty-four credit hours in Cognate courses. Students will choose the Cognate Courses with the approval of the Programme Chair of English and of the Programme Chair(s) or Division Head(s) of the subject area(s) from which the Cognate Courses are to be taken. Students are advised to consult with the Programme Chair of English concerning Cognate Courses by the beginning of their third year of studies at the latest. For general regulations covering Cognate Courses, see the Core Programme Requirements Section under the Sir Wilfred Grenfell Section of this Calendar.
NOTE: In addition to meeting the requirements stated above for the Specialization in English
students MUST also fulfil all the Bachelor of Arts Degree requirements including those defined
in the CORE PROGRAMME. (See Core Programme Requirements under General Regulations
Up to Calendar Table of Contents
Back to Registrar's Office Home Page