To be admitted to the Post-Secondary Education Degree and Diploma programmes, a student must meet, in addition to the general admission requirements of the University, special admission requirements as outlined by the following criteria:
1) Applications for admission are considered three times per year. The deadlines for submission of applications are June 15 for admission to the Fall Semester, October 1 for admission to the Winter Semester, and January 15 for admission to the Spring Semester.
2) Occupational training as verified by one of:
a) a certificate of qualification as a journeyman for a designated trade;
b) a certificate or diploma from a technical or business school or college;
c) an appropriate degree from a university;
d) satisfactory completion of a programme equivalent to (a), (b) or (c) above.
3) At least one year of work experience or equivalent in the occupational area in which training was obtained. This experience must be subsequent to the completion of or concurrent with the occupational training programme.
NOTE: Training and experience will be assessed and verified by the Admissions Sub-Committee for Post-Secondary Education.
4) Students who wish to enter the programme in Post-Secondary Education may obtain an application form from the Faculty of Education, Office of Student Services.
REGULATIONS FOR THE DEGREE OF BACHELOR OF EDUCATION (POST- SECONDARY) AS A FIRST DEGREE
1) A candidate for the Bachelor of Education (Post-Secondary) Degree will be required to complete the equivalent of at least one hundred twenty credit hours approved by the Office of Student Services.
2) The one hundred and twenty credit hours must include:
Twenty-one credit hours as follows: Education 2710, 2720, 2730, 2801, 3280, 3801, 4700
Twenty-one credit hours to be chosen from: Education 2800, 2803, 2806, 3440, 3710, 3720, 3730, 4710, 4730, 4760-80.
c) Six credit hours in English.
d) Thirty non-Education credit hours patterned to strengthen the area of teaching specialization and/or provide the development of depth in a related field of study as approved by the Office of Student Services. Education 4760-4780 may be used to satisfy non-Education specialization course credit hour electives if not already used to satisfy clause 2)b) above.
e) Twelve additional credit hours from any subject areas outside of Education. Six of these twelve credit hours may be chosen from courses listed in clause 2)b) above if not already used to satisfy the requirements of clause 2)b).
3)a) Advanced standing to a maximum of thirty credit hours may be awarded for students possessing at least a combined total of six years of training and work experience in the occupational area in which training was obtained.
b) Students who because of a deficiency of work experience are not eligible to receive the maximum of thirty credit hours advanced standing will be required to obtain further work experience and/or to complete additional university courses, either or both of which must be approved by the Admissions Sub-Committee for Post-Secondary Education.
4) At least half the credit hours required under clauses 2a) and b) above must be completed at
Up to Calendar Table of Contents
Back to Registrar's Office Home Page