Programme Supervisor: Dr. Hans Rollmann, Department of Religious Studies
A multi-disciplinary Minor programme in Newfoundland Studies is offered to candidates for the Bachelor of Arts degree. The objective of the programme is the study of Newfoundland society and culture through a variety of disciplinary approaches rather than the concentration upon a single discipline. This Minor programme is an alternative to a Minor offered by a single department. Since the programme draws upon courses in several departments, it is administered by an inter-departmental committee. The Programme Supervisor will advise students upon the selection of courses in the Minor.
1) To qualify for a Minor in Newfoundland Studies, a student shall complete a total of 24 credit hours in courses as follows:
a) Fifteen credit hours in courses on the following list and from at least four different Departments.
- Anthropology 3850 (same as Folklore 3850), 3860 (same as Folklore 3860 and History 3860)
- Economics 2070, 3070
- Education 3571
- English 3155
- Folklore 2230 (same as S/A 2230), 2300, 3850 (same as Anthropology 3850) and 3860 (same as Anthropology 3860 and History 3860)
- Geography 2490, 3290, 3490
- History 3110, 3120, 3860 (same as Anthropology 3860 and Folklore 3860)
- Linguistics 2210
- Political Science 3780
- Religious Studies 3900, 3901
- Sociology/Anthropology 2220, 2230 (same as Folklore 2230)
NOTE: Religious Studies 3900/3901 deal with different periods and topics. Students can register in 3901 without having taken 3900.
b) Nine additional credit hours in courses chosen from the above list and/or from the following, including at least three credit hours chosen from courses at the 4000 level:
- Anthropology 4280
- Folklore 4310, 4400
- French 4400 (same as Folklore 4400)
- Geography 4301, 4690
- History 4230, 4231
- Linguistics 4220
- Political Science 4731
c) PREREQUISITES: Normal departmental prerequisites will be required as laid down by the various Departments.
2) Up to six credit hours in courses counted for a student's Major Department may count towards
the Minor, but these shall be in addition to the minimum course requirements for the Major.
Up to Calendar Table of Contents
Back to Registrar's Office Home Page