ACADEMIC STANDARDS AND PROMOTIONS
1) The School constitutes the examining body for all School of Nursing examinations. The standing of every student will be assessed at the end of each academic semester by the Undergraduate Studies Committee, and a grade report will be issued by the Registrar to the individual student.
2) Students in the Bachelor of Nursing Programme are required to achieve a grade of at least 65% or a grade of PAS as appropriate in each of the required Nursing courses.
3) Within one month of the release by the university of the grade reports, a student may submit (to the Associate Director for Undergraduate Studies of the School of Nursing) a request for reconsideration of the grade awarded in the clinical component of a course.
4) A student may be required to withdraw from a Nursing course with a clinical component or from the programme at any time on the recommendation of the Undergraduate Studies Committee of the School of Nursing, if the student is deemed unlikely to profit from continued attendance in the Nursing course or programme and/or is deemed unsafe in a clinical setting.
5) Students failing to achieve the requirements outlined in Clause 2 or who are required to withdraw from a Nursing course under Clause 4 are permitted to repeat the given Nursing course only once. A second failure or mandatory withdrawal from a Nursing Course requires withdrawal from the School of Nursing.
6) Students who are required to withdraw from the programme and who wish to re-enter the programme may re-apply in competition after the lapse of two semesters. A student who has been required to withdraw on more than one occasion may re-apply in competition for re-admission after the lapse of six semesters.
7) Students appealing matters such as admission, re- admission, examinations and promotion must make their appeal in writing, clearly stating the basis of the appeal, to the Chair, Undergraduate Studies Committee of the School of Nursing. Appeals cannot be made on the basis of grades awarded in individual courses, as the student will normally have had the opportunity of contesting a grade after notification.
8) In special cases the Undergraduate Studies Committee may waive the course requirements that
apply only to the School of Nursing.
Up to Calendar Table of Contents
Back to Registrar's Office Home Page