b) Students will normally follow the course sequence as suggested in the outline of courses entitled 'Suggested Course Sequence - Elementary Programme.
c) Students may enrol in the Internship only after successful completion of the Professional Year. The Professional Year consists of thirty specified Education credit hours and the compulsory concurrent non-credit field experience.
2) A candidate shall be required to complete a minimum of sixty-six credit hours as follows:
a) Twelve credit hours in English.
b) Science 115A and 115B; or Science 1000 (with lab) and 1001 (with lab); or nine credit hours in Science, three credit hours each to be chosen from Biology, Chemistry, Earth Sciences or Physics; or a concentration in Science.
c) Mathematics 1050 and Mathematics 1051 or a concentration in Mathematics.
d) Six credit hours in Psychology.
e) Six credit hours in Sociology and/or Anthropology.
f) Further credit hours shall be chosen so that a candidate shall have completed at least eighteen and not more than twenty-seven credit hours in one of the following areas in accordance with the regulations listed below: Art**, English, Folklore, French, Geography, Home Economics*, History, Linguistics, Mathematics, Music, Physical Education, Religious Studies, or Science.
* Courses in this discipline are not available at Memorial University.
** Visual Arts courses in Art History at Sir Wilfred Grenfell College may be used to satisfy this requirement in whole or in part.
- Eighteen credit hours in Art
Visual Arts courses in Art History at Sir Wilfred Grenfell College may be used to satisfy this requirement in whole or in part
- Six credit hours at the 1000 level
- Two of 2010* or 2020, 2390, 2400, 3395, 3650
- One of 2000 or 2110, 2001, 2005, 2006, 2007, 3200, 3201
- One of 2002, 2003, 2004
- Two of 2150, 2152, 2155, 2156, 3145, 3146, 3147, 3148, 3153, 3155, 3156, 3157, 3158
* Credit may not be obtained for both English 1110 and English 2010.
- 1000 or 2000
- 2300, 2500, 3920, 3450, 4310
- It is recommended that students complete up to three of 3100, 3200, 3500, 3930, 4400
- A maximum of six credit hours at the 1000 level
- 2100 or equivalent
- 2101 or equivalent
- 2300 or equivalent
- 3700 or equivalent
- At least five weeks at an approved francophone institution in a French speaking area
- It is recommended that students complete at least one of 3650, 3651, 3652
NOTE: Students may wish to select the French Immersion option listed at the end of Suggested Course Sequence - Primary Programme.
- 1000, 1001
- One of 2001, 2102, 2302
- One of 2490, 3290, 3320, 3490
- Six other credit hours in Geography
- 1000 and 1001 OR 1050 and 1051
- 2100 and 2110 OR 2200 and 2210
- 3110, 3120
- 1100 or 2100
- 2103, 2104, 2210
- Two of 2150, 2500, 3000, 3100, 3104, 3150, 3201, 3212, 3850.
- At least one of these must be a 3000-level course.
- Eighteen credit hours including no more than six credit hours at the 1000 level and at least three credit hours at the 3000 level
- 1020 and 1021, OR 2000 and 2001
- 1113 and 1114
- 251A and 251B
- Eighteen credit hours to be chosen in consultation with the Director of the School of Physical Education and Athletics
- One of 2013, 2130 or 2140
- 2050 and 2051
- Six credit hours at the 3000 level
- At least three additional credit hours to be chosen from 2011, 2012, 2013, 2130, 2140, 2610, or an additional 3000- level course
- Eighteen credit hours including at least six credit hours in each of two subject areas selected from Biochemistry, Biology, Chemistry, Earth Sciences, and Physics.
g) Additional elective courses may be chosen from any subject areas outside of Education in addition to those listed in Clause 2 above.
3) A candidate shall be required to complete a minimum of sixty-nine credit hours in Education.
a) The following courses are compulsory courses on the Elementary programme:
(i) Education 2040, 2360, 2610, 3006, 3275, 3315, 3320, 3375, 3480, 3545, 3615, 3940, 3955, 3960, 4360 or 4370, 4380, 4425.
(ii) Two of Education 2050, 2193, 2194, 3050, 3120, 3160, 3220 or 3230, 4205. For students whose academic concentrations are French, Geography, History, Physical Education, or Religious Studies, at least one of these courses will be determined by the particular subject in Clause 2.f) above. Students completing Music under Clause 2.f) must complete both Education 3160 and Education 3180.
b) Further Education courses to complete the required total for the degree must be chosen from appropriate course offerings of the Faculty of Education.
4) In addition to satisfying Clause 3 above, all candidates shall be required to complete a fifteen credit hour internship. (Education 401X)
SUGGESTED COURSE SEQUENCE - ELEMENTARY PROGRAMME
Years 1 and 2
- Twenty-four academic credit hours - First year university
- Science 115A/B (or courses as outlined in Clause 2.b)
- Mathematics 1050/1051
- Education 2040
- Education 2360
- Education 2610
- Three credit hours from Clause 2 above
- Three credit hours from Clause 3a)(ii) above
- Other academic courses
- Education 3006, 3275, 3315, 3375, 3480, 3545, 3615, 3940, 3955, 3960.
Years 4 and 5
- Education 3320
- Education 4360 or 4370
- Education 4380
- Education 4425
- Education 401X
- Three Education electives
- Credit hours from Clause 2 above to complete the required total of thirty-six
- Three credit hours from Clause 3(a) (ii) above.
FRENCH IMMERSION OPTION
NOTE: In addition to the above, there is an option within the B.Ed. (Elementary) Degree
programme for those students wishing to prepare themselves to teach in the French Immersion
programmes in the Province. The course sequence for this option is given at the end of the
regulations for the B.Ed. (Primary) Degree programme.
Up to Calendar Table of Contents
Back to Registrar's Office Home Page