(For the preparation of teachers of Special Education.)
NOTES: 1)The Bachelor of Special Education Degree program is available
through part-time or full-time study.
2) For the Bachelor of Special Education Degree a candidate must comply with the University's Regulations for a Second Degree as outlined in the General Regulations section of the Calendar.
1) Applications for admission are only considered once a year to begin in Fall semester. The deadline for submission of Faculty applications to the Office of the Registrar is February 15. Consideration will be given to the courses for which students are registered at the time of application.
2) Admission to the degree program in Special Education is limited and selective.
3) To be admitted to the Bachelor of Special Education Degree program a candidate shall have a minimum of a 65% average in the last 60 credit hours and also meet the following requirements:
a) hold a degree in Primary and/or Elementary, or Intermediate/Secondary Education from Memorial University or another Education degree deemed appropriate by the Faculty of Education, AND have credit for one of Education 3220, 3230, 4240 or equivalent. Intermediate/Secondary graduates must also have credit for Education 4350.
b) have successfully completed a professional internship in education or have equivalent teaching experience prior to admission.
4) Applicants to the Degree Program in Special Education must complete the application form "Application for Admission to the Special Education Program" and return it by the appropriate deadline to the Office of the Registrar. Students who must apply for admission/readmission to the University, must also submit to the Office of the Registrar an "Application for Admission/Re-admission" form (available from the Office of the Registrar). Application forms for the Special Education program may be obtained by writing the Faculty of Education, Office of Undergraduate Student Services, Memorial University of Newfoundland, St. John's, NL, A1B 3X8.
NOTES: 1) Students who do not successfully complete courses during the academic year in which admission is granted will be dropped from the program and must, if they wish to be subsequently considered for admission, submit a new application which will be considered in competition with those of all other applicants.
2) Provisional acceptance may be granted to students who will successfully complete all prerequisites prior to commencement of Program.
To be eligible for the Degree in Special Education, a student must have completed:
a) the Memorial University of Newfoundland Bachelor of Education Degree Primary and/or Elementary, or Intermediate/Secondary, or another Education degree deemed appropriate by the Faculty of Education, and
b) 36 credit hours as follows:
(i) Required courses: Education 3600, 3610, 3620, 3630, 3650.
(ii) 21 credit hours selected from the elective offerings in Special Education.
c) the Memorial University of Newfoundland Bachelor of Education Degree Primary and/or Elementary, or Intermediate/Secondary, or another Education degree deemed appropriate by the Faculty of Education, and
d) Education 365X - Extended Harlow Practicum in Special Education (15 credit hours) plus Education 3600, 3610, 3620, 3630 and 9 credit hours from the elective courses in Special Education.
Up to Calendar Table of Contents
Back to Office of the Registrar's Home Page