The following undergraduate programs are available in the Department:
Major in Geography (B.A. or B.Sc.)
Honours in Geography (B.A. or B.Sc.)
Minor in Geography
Focus in Geography
Diploma in Geographic Information Sciences
MAJOR IN GEOGRAPHY (B.A. or B.Sc.)
1) Students may complete a Major in Geography as part of either a B.A.
or B.Sc. program. See the General Regulations for the B.A. and B.Sc.
degrees as appropriate.
2) All students who major in Geography shall consult with their assigned faculty advisor, or the Head of the Department, who will help them in planning their academic program. For this purpose, it is essential that students declare their major at an early stage of their studies.
3) The Major in Geography consists of 45 credit hours in Geography courses including:
a. 1050, or 1000 & 1001, or 1010 & 1011;
b. 2001, 2102, 2195, and 2302;
c. 2220 (or Statistics 2500 or 2510);
d. Twelve credit hours in courses from at least three of the following groups:
A: 2200, 3200, 3250, 3260;
B. 3303, 3325, 3701;
C: 3000, 3610, 3620, 3800;
D: 3110, 3120, 3140, 3150
e. At least 9 credit hours chosen from courses at the 4000-level;
f. Further credit hours in courses at the 3000-level or above, to fulfil the required 45 credit hours in Geography courses.
4) B.Sc. candidates:
a. must complete 15 credit hours in science coursees outside Geography at the 2000-level or above;
b. may substitute Computer Science 1700 for 3 of the required 12 credit hours in first year science courses required for theB.Sc. degree.
HONOURS IN GEOGRAPHY (B.A. or B.Sc.)
1. Students intending to take an Honours degree in Geography must apply
for entry to the Honours program through the Office of the Registrar.
2. Students accepted in the Honours program must:
a. Comply with the General Regulations for the Honours Degree of B.A. or B.Sc. as appropriate.
b. Arrange their program in consultation with the Head of the Department.
3. For the Honours Degree, a candidate will be required to have completed at least 60 credit hours in courses in Geography, including:
a. Forty-five credit hours in courses as listed under Major in Geography.
b. Geography 3230, 4990 and 4999.
c. Six additional credit hours at the 4000-level.
MINOR IN GEOGRAPHY
The Minor in Geography consists of 24 credit hours in Geography courses,
- 1050, 2001, 2102, 2195, 2302; and
- nine credit hours in elective courses.
- 1000 & 1001, or 1010 & 1011;
- 2001, 2102, 2195, 2302; and
- six credit hours in elective courses
Regulations for the Joint Honours in
Computer Science and Geography, Joint
Honours in Geography/Earth Sciences, and Joint Major in Computer Science and
Geography are found under the heading “Joint Programs” in the entry
for the Faculty of Science.
Students who wish to take a Joint Major or a Joint Honours in Geography and another subject must arrange their program in consultation with the heads of the Departments concerned, and comply with the General Regulations of the appropriate Faculty.
FOCUS IN GEOGRAPHY B.Ed. (Primary/Elementary)
This program, which is only applicable for the Bachelor of Education Primary/Elementary
degree program, consists of 18 credit hours in Geography including:
- 1050, 2001, 2102, 2195, 2302, and 3 credit hours in an elective course.
- 1000 & 1001, or 1010 & 1011, and
- 2001, 2102, 2195, and 2302.
DIPLOMA IN GEOGRAPHIC INFORMATION SCIENCES
Information regarding the Diploma Program in Geographic Information Sciences
may be found in the section Diploma Programs
Offered in the Faculty of Arts.
AND CREDIT RESTRICTIONS
1. Mathematics 1000, or equivalent, is a prerequisite for Geography 3110,
3120, 3140, 3150, 3250, 3260;
2. Geography 2220, or Statistics 2500 or 2510 is a prerequisite for Geography 3110, 3120, 3140, 3150, 3250, 3260, 3303, and 3701;
3. Geography 2001, 2102, 2195, and 2302 must normally be completed prior to registration in a 4000-level course;
4. Credit may not be obtained for 1050 and any one of 1000, 1001, 1010, or 1011.
Up to Calendar Table of Contents
Back to Office of the Registrar's Home Page