Program Coordinator: Dr. Rosonna Tite
The Minor in Women's Studies is a multi-disciplinary program offered to candidates for the degrees of Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Science, Bachelor of Commerce (Co-operative) and Bachelor of Business Administration. The Minor program is an alternative to a Minor offered by a single department and satisfies the degree requirement for a Minor.
The objective of the program is to explore the experience and contributions of women from the perspective of different academic disciplines and to compare the situation of women in society with that of men. Assumptions about women and gender differences and the social implications of these assumptions will be explored. While consideration will be given to socially relevant issues, attention will also be paid to the implications for academic disciplines of the research on women and their contribution to society.
Students who minor in Women's Studies shall complete a minimum of 24 credit hours in courses which shall include the following:
1) Women's Studies 2000
2) Women's Studies 3000
3) Women's Studies 4000
4) A minimum of fifteen (15) credit hours in courses from the Elective Course List outlined below, taken in at least three different subject areas. One of these courses may be a selected topics or directed readings course in any Arts subject relevant to the Minor program.
A selected topics course or directed readings course included in a student's minor program must be approved in advance by the Committee on Undergraduate Studies on the recommendation of the Program Coordinator.
5) Not more than three (3) credit hours in courses in the student's Major Program may also be used to satisfy the requirements of the Minor in Women's Studies.
- Women's Studies 2000. An Interdisciplinary Introduction to Women's Studies
- Women's Studies 3000. Feminist Research Methods
- Women's Studies 4000. Seminar in Women's Studies
- Anthropology 3305. Anthropology of Gender
- Anthropology 4081. Advanced Seminar in the Anthropology of Gender
- Education 3565.** Gender and Schooling
- English 3817. Writing and Gender
- English 3830. Women Writers
- Folklore 3950. Women and Traditional Culture
- German 4802.* Women in German Society and Culture
- History 3760. Women in Western Society and Culture (I)
- History 3770. Women in Western Society and Culture (II)
- History 3813. Women in North American Society: Newfoundland and Labrador
- History 3821.* Selected Topics in Canadian Women's History
- History 4006.* Women in the Middle Ages
- Linguistics 3212. Language, Sex and Gender
- Philosophy 2805. Contemporary Issues
- Physical Education (PHSD) 3490. Women in Sport and Physical Activity
- Physical Education (RECR) 3595. Women and Leisure
- Political Science 3140*. Feminist Political Theory
- Political Science 3340*. Women and Politics
- Psychology 2540. Psychology of Gender and Sex Roles
- Psychology 3533. Sexual Behaviour
- Religious Studies 2800. Women in Western Religions
- Religious Studies 2801. Women in Eastern Religions
- Social Work 5522. Women and Social Welfare
- Sociology 4230. Women and Development
- Sociology/Anthropology 3314. Gender and Society
- Sociology/Anthropology 4092. Gender and Social Theory
- Women's Studies 2001. Women and Science
- Women's Studies 3001/Medieval Studies 3006/English 3006*. Women Writers of the Middle Ages
- Women's Studies 3002-3020 (excluding 3004, 3009). Special Topics in Women's Studies
- Women's Studies/Russian Studies 3004. Images of Women in Russian Culture
- Women's Studies 3100. Women and Health
- Women's Studies/Sociology 4107*. Women and Technological Change (formerly Women's Studies 3009)
1) Normal prerequisites and waiver policies in the respective departments will apply.
2) **Education 3565 may be applied to the Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science degree only in the case of students who complete the Women's Studies Minor Program.
3) Courses marked with * are not offered on a regular basis. Consult the appropriate department for scheduling information.
Up to Calendar Table of Contents
Back to Registrar's Office Home Page