The Mission of the Faculty of Medicine is as follows:
Our purpose is to enhance the health of the people of Newfoundland and Labrador by educating physicians and health scientists; by conducting research in clinical and basic medical sciences and applied health sciences and by promoting the skills and attitudes of lifelong learning
The objectives of the Faculty of Medicine are consistent with the objectives of Memorial University of Newfoundland in developing and maintaining excellence in the quality of its academic standards and of research, establishing programmes to meet the expanding needs of the province and of providing the means to reach out to all the people.
The Faculty seeks to attain these objectives through an organizational structure which allows optimum interaction among the various disciplines within the Medical School and with other Faculties and Schools as appropriate.
The organizational structure includes interactions with hospitals and other institutions affiliated with the University. The term 'Medical School' refers to the wider organizational structure of the Faculty of Medicine within the University and the Affiliated Hospitals and institutions.
The specific objectives are:
1. To teach medical students to be physicians; and to provide such learning experiences as will inspire all medical graduates of the school to be prepared to practice medicine at the highest standards, serving all individuals and societies in the pursuit of health.
2. To acknowledge the special geography of this Province by encouraging the education of physicians with exemplary skills for rural practice.
3. To educate and train graduate and diploma students in the health sciences.
4. To provide postgraduate educational experiences in medicine and the medical sciences such that the graduating Canadian physicians will pursue further studies within the school's postgraduate programs, leading to certification in family medicine or specialist subjects, especially in those areas where deficiency in numbers is currently recognized or anticipated.
5. To instill within students at all levels:
a) The wish and the capacity to further the practice and science of medicine through the creation of new knowledge for the
improvement of the health of the world's peoples.
b) The wish and the capacity to improve their own professional practice through continuing self-assessment and scholarship.
c) An appreciation of their evolving roles as members of a team of professionals possessing complementary skills.
6. To attract faculty members who will together:
a) Act as a resource in providing undergraduate, graduate, postgraduate, and continuing medical education.
b) Contribute to the advancement of educational methods.
c) Practice the highest quality of primary, secondary, or tertiary care medicine.
d) Show leadership in promoting research into the health of the individual and the community, including the organization of health care delivery systems.
e) Facilitate and promote education and research appropriate to our mid North-Atlantic environment.
7. To provide educational experiences in the health sciences to students from other Schools or Faculties of Memorial University and of other educational institutions.
8. To provide Continuing Medical Education experiences which will help physicians to maintain and enhance their competence in medical skills.
9. To provide a learning environment for undergraduate, graduate, and postgraduate students of medicine and the medical sciences who are citizens of other countries.
10. Actively to provide an Informational, Educational and Consultative resource for the whole community.
Up to Calendar Table of Contents
Back to Registrar's Office Home Page