(For the preparation of teachers of Special Education.)
NOTES: 1) Students presently holding the Diploma in Special Education or enrolled in the Diploma Programme and
wishing to upgrade the Diploma to a Bachelor of Special Education Degree may do so by completing six credit hours
chosen from Special Education electives approved by the Faculty of Education, provided that they meet the Residence
Requirements for a Second Degree.
2) Students who update the Diploma in Special Education by completing the requirements for the Bachelor of Special Education Degree shall have the diploma designation on their transcript replaced by the degree designation.
1) Applications for part-time and full-time admission are considered once a year. The earliest date candidates can begin the programme is Summer Session of the year of admission. The deadline for submission of applications is February 1. Consideration will be given to the courses for which students are registered at the time of application.
2) Admission to the degree programme in Special Education is limited and selective.
3) To be admitted to the Bachelor of Special Education Degree programme a candidate shall have a minimum of a 65% average in the last sixty credit hours and also meet the following requirements:
a) have met the admission requirements to the Faculty of Education; and
b)(i) hold a degree in Primary or Elementary Education from Memorial University or some other recognized university or hold another Education degree deemed appropriate by the Faculty of Education.
(ii) AND, have credit for Education 3220 or 3230 or equivalent.
c) have successfully completed a professional internship in education or have equivalent teaching experience prior to admission.
4) Students having completed degree programmes for the preparation of intermediate and secondary school teachers who wish to enter the Bachelor of Special Education Degree Programme shall complete one of Education 3220, 3230 or 4240, and one of Education 4350 or 4352.
5) Applicants to the Degree Programme in Special Education must complete the application form "Application for Admission to the Special Education Programme and return it by the appropriate deadline to the Office of the Registrar. Students who must apply for admission/re-admission to the University, must also submit to the Office of the Registrar an "Application for Admission/Re-admission" form (available from the Office of the Registrar). Application forms for the Special Education programme may be obtained by writing the Faculty of Education, Office of Undergraduate Student Services, Memorial University of Newfoundland, St. John's, Newfoundland, A1B 3X8.
NOTE: 1) Students who do not register for courses during the academic year in which admission is granted will be
dropped from the programme and must, if they wish to be subsequently considered for admission, submit a new application
which will be considered in competition with those of all other applicants.
2) Provisional acceptance may be granted to students who will successfully complete all prerequisites prior to commencement of Programme.
To be eligible for the Degree in Special Education, a student must have completed:
a) the Memorial University Bachelor of Education Degree (Primary) or (Elementary) or another Education degree deemed appropriate by the Faculty of Education, and
b) 36 credit hours as follows:
(i) Required courses: Education 3600, 3610, 3620, 3630, 3650.
(ii) 21 credit hours selected from the elective offerings in Special Education.
a) the Memorial University Bachelor of Education Degree (Primary) or (Elementary) or another Education degree deemed
appropriate by the Faculty of Education, and
b) Education 365X - Extended Harlow Practicum in Special Education (15 credit hours) plus Education 3600, 3610, 3620, 3630 and 9 credit hours from the elective courses in Special Education.
Up to Calendar Table of Contents
Back to Registrar's Office Home Page