Memorial University's Policies and Procedures
Memorial University's Non-Academic Policies and Procedures are Governed by:
1. The Board of Regents' Policy – Development, Approval and Administration of University Policies (adopted September 2007, revised March 2010, revised July 2011).
2. The senior administration's Adoption of Policy Principles.
3. Policy Framework and a Procedures Framework.
Each of these is described in detail below:
1. The main features of the Development, Approval and Administration of University Policies or the "Policy on Policies" are:
- The Board of Regents has authority over non-academic, university-wide policy. The administration has authority over related procedures, through the parent policy sponsor.
- Any University employee, with the support of his/her unit head, may propose the creation of a new policy or changes in an existing policy.
- The designation of a “sponsor” for every policy, i.e., a senior administrator with overall responsibility for the development of a policy, its implementation and its periodic review.
- The requirement for consultation, for an implementation plan, for a communications plan and for compliance monitoring.
- The formal review of policies every four years.
2. Principles Regarding Development, Approval and Administration of University Policies (adopted February 25, 2008):
- All non-academic University policy requires the approval of the Board of Regents.
- Policy development, approval and administration must follow the Policy Framework Process.
- All policy and procedure will use a common format and style.
- Every policy will have a sponsor.
- The on-line version of policy and procedure will be the official version and there will be only one on-line version.
- All procedures will have an associated parent policy.
The Office of the Board of Regents can provide presentations on the Policy Framework, or training on writing policies and procedures, to individuals and groups.
Please contact Jane Westcott-Stevens at 864-3289 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information or to book a session.