Procedure for Inviting Foreign Visiting Professors
Approval Date: 2014-08-05
Effective Date: 2014-08-05
Responsible Unit: Division of Faculty Relations
Visiting professors are people who hold a permanent position abroad, to which they will return, and are working in Canada for a period of not more than two academic years with a post-secondary institution. In accordance with CIC, persons who fall under this category are exempt from a LMIA. A work permit is required. A TRV is also required if visitors are from a country that requires a visa to visit Canada.
Steps for Unit
1) All Visiting Professors will receive a letter of appointment. The letter is issued by the Unit Head, following a recommendation by the Department Head, where appropriate.
2) Letters of appointment for foreign Visiting Professors will contain the following phrase:
This offer is subject to compliance with the immigration laws of Canada and is conditional on any approvals, authorizations and/or permits in respect of your employment that may be required under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act and in the regulations made pursuant to that Act. Please note that it is your responsibility to maintain your immigration status in order to retain this position. If you have any questions please contact the Office of Faculty Relations at 864-4732.
3) The Office of Faculty Relations will be copied on all letters of appointment for foreign Visiting Professors.
Steps for Foreign Visiting Professors
4) Upon receipt of the letter of appointment, the Visiting Professor must apply for a Work Permit at the visa office for the country or region where s/he lives. Additional documents (i.e., TRV, medical examination, police certificate, etc) may also be required. Requirements for additional documents can be obtained by contacting the visa office.
5) If a work permit is approved, the Canadian visa office will issue a letter which must be presented to an immigration official at the Canadian port of entry. The actual Work Permit is issued at the port of entry.