CIHR-III Announcement - New Funding Opportunity
Forwarded on behalf of the Grants Coordinators, Office of Research Services. Please forward to interested faculty and/or students within your unit and post.
To interested researchers, please note:
- Office of Research Services internal deadline for Comprehensive Review for this competition is: noon, 10 working days before the sponsor deadline.
- Office of Research Services internal deadline for Institutional Review for this competition is: noon, 3 working days before the sponsor deadline.
- When submitting an application for Institutional Review, be sure to include the appropriate Approval Form from your Department/Faculty with the application.
- Please notify a Grants Coordinator at the Office of Research Services of your intent to apply to the upcoming competition.
Contact for Faculty of Medicine, Schools of Nursing, Pharmacy, Social Work, HKR, and Grenfell Campus is Vicki Gill, firstname.lastname@example.org, 709-864-3045.
Contact for Faculty of Arts, Faculty of Engineering, and Marine Institute is Karen Follett, email@example.com, 709-864-8252.
Contact for Faculty of Science, Business Administration, Education, School of Music, and the Labrador Institute is Tasha Harrold, firstname.lastname@example.org , 709-864-4745.
Further details on processes for institutional review and approval are available at http://www.mun.ca/research/funding/grants/institutional-review.php.
Launch of New Funding Opportunity
Canadian Immunization Research Network
The CIHR Institute of Infection and Immunity, and the PHAC Centre for Immunization and respiratory infectious diseases are pleased to announce the launch of a new funding opportunity to address important priority areas in public health and in immunization research. This funding opportunity will support the formation of a single Canadian Immunization Research Network. The objectives of this funding opportunity are to:
- Develop a formal organizational infrastructure to facilitate collaborative research among vaccine and immunization researchers, clinicians, public health professionals, and policy makers;
- Create and strengthen links and facilitate two-way knowledge exchange among vaccine and immunization researchers, and between these researchers and decision makers, by improving established knowledge exchange and policy development mechanisms;
- Develop and test methodologies to test vaccines in areas such as safety, short- and long-term effectiveness and protection, and adverse reactions;
- Examine vaccine hesitancy and develop strategies to address it;
- Evaluate current immunization programs for coverage and effectiveness;
- Create and support a rapid response research capacity; and
- Train the next generation of vaccine and immunization researchers.
The Network will create new capacity for timely evaluation of vaccines for a variety of infectious diseases, improve immunization programs and coverage nationwide, and build strong links between the research community and key decision makers. Accordingly, the Network will contribute to the establishment of a clinical trials resource for vaccine-preventable diseases and create research infrastructure that could be rapidly mobilized and used in the event of an infectious disease outbreak.
Funding will be provided for a Network that addresses the following research areas:
- Rapid evaluation of candidate vaccines for safety and immunogenicity in persons of all ages;
- Population based methods to evaluate vaccine effectiveness and safety following release for general use;
- Vaccine hesitancy and evaluation of strategies to address hesitancy;
- Vaccine coverage, including isolated communities and cohorts of concern; and
- Adverse events following immunization.
This funding opportunity will provide $6,600,000 to support the formation and operation of a national network for 3 years. A single $25,000 development grant will be available to the single, highest ranked application at the Letter of Intent stage.
Full details on this funding opportunity, including application deadlines and instructions, can be found here.