Master of Nursing Nurse Practitioner (MNNP) options
The Nurse Practitioner (NP) (Adult or Family/All Ages) and Post Masters Nurse Practitioner Graduate Diploma are offered as options in the Master of Nursing program.
Nurse practitioners are in high demand, and have an important role in helping to ensure the health and well-being of people in Newfoundland and Labrador.
The NP options (MN and graduate diploma) prepare nurses at an advanced level to practice as NPs in a variety of settings.
Nurse practitioners typically work in acute care, community clinics, emergency departments, out-patient clinics, family physicians’ offices, long-term care facilities, and in remote nursing stations.
The MN-NP and Post Master's NP Graduate Diploma options are based on the belief that advanced practice in nursing requires graduate level preparation.
The major thrust of the nurse practitioner (NP) role is to build on a foundation of graduate nursing education.
In advanced nursing practice, the role of the NP is grounded in knowledge of theory and expanded practice skills in areas of advanced clinical decision-making, research, consultation/collaboration and leadership.
Nurse practitioners have advanced knowledge and decision-making skills in health assessment, diagnosis and health care management of common and complex conditions.
- To prepare advanced practice nurses as cost effective, competent health care providers within a changing health care environment
- To prepare nurse practitioners who practice nursing in partnership with clients and other health care professionals
- To improve health care though the education of advanced practice nurses
- To prepare advanced practice nurses with nurse practitioner competencies to act as leaders in health care and the nursing profession
Graduates of the program will be able to:
- Critically appraise existing knowledge in nursing and related disciplines (philosophical, theoretical, research-based and other)
- Apply knowledge appropriately to improve nursing practice
- Promote evidence-based practice
- Work collaboratively in a guided specialty practiceExamine and critically analyze issues in nursing and health care
- Demonstrate advanced knowledge and competency in an area of nurse practitioner practice
- Provide care to a selected population within a given specialty practice
- Practice nursing within the domains and competencies of NP practice