The Opera program at Memorial University is designed to meet the needs of Memorial's students and those of the community by creating a comprehensive training program for singers within the School of Music while offering advanced training and professional development opportunities to the School's young artists preparing for a career in performance.
The Opera Workshop is a performance based class that through the exploration of character in music develops arias and/or scenes for performance in the fall and fully staged productions with either orchestra or piano in the winter semester. Students are assigned performance materials as dictated by their skills and level. The program's focus is on professional training with the highest standard of performance.
Graduate level singers are assigned full roles for study and performance and have the opportunity to direct, under supervised conditions, scenes programs where appropriate.
Singers from the Opera program are also selected to participate in Opera RoadShow which tours Atlantic Canada each spring.
Past Opera productions have included:
- Mozart: Die Zauberflöte (2010) with MUN Chamber Orchestra;
- Humperdinck:Hansel and Gretel (2009/2005) with MUN Chamber Orchestra;
- Ravel: L'enfant et les sortilèges (2008/2011);
- Haydn: La Canterina (2006) with MUN Chamber Orchestra;
- Salieri: Prima la musica poi le parole (2004);
- Barber: A Hand of Bridge (2004/2006);
- Pasatieri: Signor Deluso (2003);
Opera Excerpt Programs with orchestra have included:
- Mozart: Cosi fan tutte (2004);
- Le nozze di Figaro (2007)
Caroline Schiller, director
Find out more about the Opera Roadshow here.