Donating to United Way
How can I donate to a charity in need through United Way?
- People either give to our community fund, or they designate their pledge to a specific charity.
- Roughly 55% of United Way funding comes from employee donations (primarily payroll deductions but also one-time deductions), 40% from corporate donations, 5% from special events held through the season.
- You can also make a one-time donation online with your credit card.
Where does my donation go?
- The money we raise in the community through workplace campaigns, special events, planned giving, etc., stays in the community to fund various programs to help people from all walks of life.
- We distribute designated donations to several hundred charities throughout NL.
How much of my donation actually reaches the charity?
- In terms of overhead, we have one of the best ratios of any charity. At least 85 cents of every dollar goes directly to charities in our communities.
What are the results to date? (all stats to be confirmed)
- In 2005, UWA set a goal of $400,000 in campaign donations and achieved $475,375.
- In 2006, UWA set a goal of $500,000 in campaign donations and achieved $570,000.
- United Way has provided grants to 38 charities. 52 applications are presently being reviewed for 2007.
- United way has distributed funds to over 300 charities in