Memorial University of Newfoundland
Faculty Association
(MUNFA) 2010


This booklet has been prepared to assist those members of MUNFA who are planning a sabbatical leave.

The booklet is not intended to be an interpretation of the relevant Articles of the Collective Agreement. MUNFA members are urged to familiarize themselves with those Clauses. The information contained herein highlights the relevant clauses of Article 22 and provides a 'checklist' of points to consider when planning a sabbatical leave.

This information is based on questions most frequently raised by MUNFA members when planning a sabbatical leave, and from input by MUNFA members. Thanks to all who contributed.



Before applying for sabbatical leave, it is important that you become familiar with the relevant articles of the current Collective Agreement. Clauses 22.13 to 22.30 of the MUNFA Collective Agreement, February 26, 2010 - August 31, 2013, outline regulations pertaining to sabbatical leave. These clauses should be read carefully in conjunction with this guide.


    Academic Staff Members (ASMs) holding tenured or tenure-track appointments are eligible to apply for sabbatical leave. However the sabbatical leave may be taken only after tenure is attained. (see clause 22.14).


    Application may be made during the third or subsequent year of service for a sabbatical leave of four (4) months, to begin no earlier than the start of the fourth year of service. For a leave of twelve (12) months, application may be made during the sixth or subsequent year of eligible service to be taken during the following seventh year or a subsequent year. Following the taking of a Sabbatical leave, for a 12-month sabbatical, application may be made for every six (6) years of eligible service and application for a 4-month sabbatical may be made for every three (3) years of eligible service. Ten months in advance of the date the leave is to commence, the Academic Staff Member should submit an application in writing to the Administrative Head and include supporting documents outlining the scope and aims of the proposed activity. A copy of the report of the last sabbatical should be included. (see Clauses 22.15, 22.20 and 22.30).


    1. Include all periods of service even if the service was not continuous.

    2. Prorate time for any periods of "reduction of duties." [see article 5]

    3. Include prior service in full-time term appointments at MUN.

    4. Do not include periods of UNPAID leave GREATER THAN three months. [Note: Long Term Disability leave is paid leave]

    5. Include the number of years of prior service at another university if this has been evaluated at the time of the initial tenure-track or tenured appointment as stated in your letter of appointment.


    1. Remuneration:Remuneration depends on the option chosen by the ASM. (see Clause 22.16).

      OPTION A:
      Remuneration of eighty (80) percent of Basic Annual Salary while on sabbatical leave.

      In addition, one is eligible to apply for a research grant of up to 5% of Basic Annual Salary prorated for the period of the leave (Clause 22.17). As well, there is an option to apply to have a portion of sabbatical remuneration designated as a research grant (Clause 22.18).

      Under OPTION A (b): If the ASM does not take a sabbatical leave until after the date on which he or she becomes eligible..., the ASM shall carry forward as eligible service for the next sabbatical leave an amount of eligible service equal to the delay, up to a maximum of two (2) years.

      OPTION B:
      For a sabbatical leave of four (4) months duration, with three (3), four (4), or five (5) years since the previous sabbatical leave, the remuneration is 80%, 85%, or 90% respectively of Basic Annual Salary.

      For a sabbatical leave of twelve (12) months duration, with six (6), seven (7), or eight (8) years since the previous sabbatical leave, the remuneration is 80%, 85%, or 90% respectively of Basic Annual Salary.

      In addition, one is eligible to apply for a research grant of up to 5% of Basic Annual Salary prorated for the period of the leave (Clause 22.17). As well, there is an option to apply to have a portion of sabbatical remuneration designated as a research grant (Clause 22.18).

      Under OPTION B (b): If the ASM does not take a sabbatical leave until after the date on which he or she becomes eligible..., the ASM shall not carry forward any eligible service...except as specified in Clause 22.16.

      Either Option A or Option B must be chosen by the Academic Staff Member. There can be no combination of Options A and B.

      If a Faculty Member applies for a twelve (12) month sabbatical leave to be taken in an Academic Year and at the request of the Administrative Head, the application is amended to be taken in a single calendar year, the remuneration shall be 95% of the Basic Annual Salary. (see Clause 22.22)

    2. Benefits
      • Continued participation in MUN pension and insurance plans,

      • Upon application, the possibility of travel assistance on the same terms as if they were not on leave,

      • If justified in the terms of the application for leave, the possibility of continued provision of office, secretarial and all other University facilities normally provided to support the academic work of an Academic Staff Member.


    Persons who are granted a Sabbatical leave must:


    If an ASM becomes ill or injured while on sabbatical leave, the leave may be suspended if:

    1. the illness or injury is serious enough to substantially interfere with the work being conducted;

    2. there is a medical certificate attesting to the illness or injury;

    3. it is a four (4) month sabbatical and less than two (2) months of the leave have been used; or, it is a twelve (12) month sabbatical and more than two (2) months remain.

      The time remaining in the sabbatical...may be taken at any time by mutual agreement of the ASM and the Vice-President(Academic), OR, the suspended portion can be added to the term of the next sabbatical leave. (see Clause 22.28)


    In February of each year, CAUT publishes the CAUT ANNUAL INCOME TAX GUIDE which provides helpful information. This can be accessed at www.caut.ca, under Publications - Other Publications.

    1. Resident Status: A Canadian resident is subject to Canadian Income Tax on his/her world income, whereas a non-resident is only subject to tax for certain Canadian sources of income. The Canada Customs and Revenue Agency (CCRA) Interpretation Bulletin IT-221R2 (available on the internet at www.ccra.ca) outlines the primary residential ties of an individual as his/her dwelling place(s), his/her spouse and dependents, personal property and social ties. If Canadian residence is established, an individual will be taxed by Canada on world income. If one is obliged to pay foreign income taxes on any part of world income, Canada normally permits a foreign tax credit for all or part of the foreign tax.

    2. Research Grant/Expenses: Note in particular Clause 22.17 and Clause 22.18 which permit an Academic Staff Member to apply to the University for a research grant of up to 5% of Basic Annual Salary, and to apply to have a portion of his/her sabbatical remuneration designated as a research grant in accordance with Clause 26.30. While research grants are considered taxable income, eligible research expenses are deductible from this income for tax purposes. It is incumbent on the individual to identify those research expenses which are eligible deductions, and to keep careful records and receipts of expenses to claim these deductions. Receipts are not required when you file your income tax, but should be available if questions arise, or if CCRA decides to audit your claim. The CCRA has issued an Interpretation Bulletin (IT-75R3, available from CCRA offices as well as from the Q.E. II Library (Gov.Docs. RV 41-\25), and through the Internet at A HREF="http://www.ccra.ca"> www.ccra.ca), in which the CCRA details the type of expenditures that are eligible expenses that can be deducted from a research grant. See as well the CAUT Income Tax Guide, available on the Internet at www.caut.ca (under Publications - Other Publications). Any taxes on the research grant are payable in the taxation year in which the grant is received. However, expenses incurred in a year prior or subsequent to the receipt of a research grant may still be deductible from the grant. Total expenses cannot exceed the total research grant money received.


    1. Mail: Make arrangements with a reliable colleague or departmental secretary to sort and forward your mail regularly. Ask that person too, if he/she would mind highlighting matters needing your attention. E-mail can generally be forwarded automatically to a new e-mail address.


    1. Advertising: Allow plenty of time to find a tenant for your home. Advertising in the CAUT BULLETIN, the MUN GAZETTE, or the AUCC's UNIVERSITY AFFAIRS is most expedient and offers the possibility of finding a person with whom to "exchange" homes for the duration of your leave. Some academic publications provide this service at no cost. You might also make use of similar publications outside Canada. It is a good idea to ask the prospective tenants for letters of reference.

    2. Lease: A sample lease from the Residential Tenancies Division of the Provincial Government Department of Government Services and Lands, and a comprehensive information package are available in the MUNFA office. The sample lease is also posted on-line at the Division's web site at http://www.gov.nf.ca/gsl/cca/rt/. It is also worthwhile however, to call or visit the Landlord Tenant Relations Office to obtain a copy of the Residential Tenancies Act either online or from the Residential Tenancies Division so that you fully understand your obligations and those of your tenant. Remember that regardless of the length of your lease, it will still be necessary to provide a written notice of termination date to your tenant some defined period in advance; see the Division web site for further details. Post-dated cheques deposited to your bank are usually the most reliable and trouble-free means of payment of rent.

    3. Home Insurance: If you plan to rent your home to a tenant, visit your insurance agent several months before your departure. There is usually an additional cost to insure your home as a rental property. Some insurance companies will not insure your household effects. Try to find an agent willing to cover both the property and contents. CCRA's Rental Income Tax Guide is helpful in determining eligible deductions. Copies of the Rental Income Tax Guide are available from the local CCRA Office, Duckworth Street, St. John's.


    If you have school-age children, obtain a signed record of their immunizations from your physician before you leave. If your child needs special classes, take something official from your school principal detailing those special needs.

    Contact the school board at your destination requesting maps that show the locations of their schools. These will help in the selection of housing.

    When out of the Country, you may still be eligible to receive the Government of Canada Child Credit for eligible children. Contact the Income Security Program and make arrangements to have the cheques directly deposited to a bank account while you are away.


    Your MUN Health and Dental Insurance covers you while you are out of the Province. Check with the Department of Human Resources (Benefits) to obtain the details, or limitations of coverage while out of the Province. Your MUN Group Plan insurance remains effective only if your MCP is still in effect. To maintain your MCP coverage, you must complete an "Out-of-Province Coverage Certificate" if you are going to be in another Canadian Province for more than thirty (30) days, or out of the Country for a prolonged period. You should check the Provincial Government website: www.health.gov.nl.ca/health/mcp/outofprovincecoverage.html

    Your group travel insurance coverage - AXA - while normally available for a period of 180 days and which is for emergencies only, can also be extended beyond that time-frame. Check with the Department of Human Resources (Benefits) for the necessary steps to keep your AXA coverage valid for periods beyond 180 days.

    Familiarize yourself with the process for filing claims while out of the Province. If you need supplementary coverage, shop around and compare rates.

    If you are spending your sabbatical in a foreign country, check for the location of the Division of Health and Community Services' International Travel Clinic. This clinic will provide advice and administer vaccinations that may be required. You should do this well in advance of your departure to give yourself time to recover from adverse effects of vaccinations.


    You may wish to have someone act on your behalf regarding personal matters of a legal nature while you are on leave. You can make prior arrangements for this by assigning someone "Power of Attorney." Consult with a lawyer before you do so, and perhaps draw up a specific Power of Attorney form assigning an individual limited powers, such as might be required in overseeing a lease agreement.


    If you leave the country, you will be faced with converting Canadian currency to foreign funds. Meet with your local Bank Manager to ensure that you have access to funds.

  14. MOVING

    When you move for a year, it's an advantage to move to a furnished apartment or house. However, you may still need to take some necessities. Think in terms of items you use at home at least once a week. If you take unfurnished accommodation, consider renting the necessities and check into the availability of furniture rental shops at your destination.


    1. Re-entry Permit: If you are a non-citizen, permanent resident (formerly Landed Immigrant) in Canada, you must obtain a re-entry permit from Citizenship and Immigration Canada if you leave the country for a period of more than six (6) months (180 days). The re-entry permit certifies that your absence is a temporary one. Do this well in advance of your planned departure. When you call for details and an appointment if it is necessary, inquire about documents, if any, that you need to bring with you. This could prevent undue delays in processing your request.

    2. Visas: Some countries require visas. Contact the consulates of relevant countries for application forms and details of regulations pertaining to various time periods for which the visa is required. If paid employment is planned, a work visa must be obtained. Complete this process well in advance of your planned departure. Requests for prolonged periods of residence may require that visas be processed in that country rather than at the Consulate, a process which can take quite some time.

    3. List of Goods: If you leave the country, you will be required to provide Customs with an itemized list of goods you are taking and plan to bring back. The forms are available at the Canada Customs and Revenue Agency (CCRA) and should be filled out in advance to avoid delays when you move, and to facilitate your re-entry. Further information can be obtained from the CCRA web site at www.ccra.ca.

For further information or clarification on any matter in this book please send your e-mail to matkinsoat mun dot ca or call the MUNFA office at (709)737-8642 Fax: (709)737-3703.

Back to MUNFA Home Page