The following Back to Work Protocol was signed by both Axel Meisen and Noel Roy on Sunday, November 12, 2000 at 5:15 pm
Back to Work Protocol
MUNFA/MUN November 2000
1. Members of MUNFA shall return to work as of 11:59 p.m. Sunday, November 12, 2000, on the conditions that this protocol be signed by both Parties, that the tentative Collective Agreement has a complete text and appendices and is initialed by both Parties, except for two clauses in Article 30 where there is a signed agreement to complete the text within a few days, and that a signed letter concerning pension contributions from the Chairman of the Board of Regents is received by MUNFA. The period from October 31, 2000, to November 12, 2000, shall be hereafter referred to as the "period of the strike" or the "strike".
2. The 1996-1999 MUNFA/MUN Collective Agreement shall be in effect until the new Collective Agreement comes into force and effect.
3. The academic term shall not be extended and the examination period shall be as specified in the University Calendar.
4. Makeup classes shall be scheduled only between the end of lectures for the Fall Semester and the start of the final examination period.
5. All time lines of processes and procedures in progress at the time of the strike pursuant to the 1996-1999 MUNFA/MUN Collective Agreement shall be extended by nine days.
6. Any library material which became due during the strike shall become due on November 14, 2000.
7. All leaves in progress at the commencement of the strike shall be continued as though no strike had occurred.
8. All leaves which had been approved before the strike shall be honored by the University and shall begin on the originally agreed commencement date. ASM travel planned before the commencement of the strike and scheduled for the original dates of the fall semester break, November 13th to November 15th, 2000 shall be authorized to proceed without penalty. ASMs who travel during this period of the original fall semester break shall make their best efforts to ensure that their classes are either covered or made up.
9. Neither the Board of Regents of Memorial University, nor the officers, academic or other administrative employees or representatives of the University shall take any disciplinary or retaliatory measures against MUNFA or its members who were on strike, for their actions during the strike up to and including the day of return to work.
10. Neither the Board of Regents of Memorial University, nor the officers, academic or other administrative employees or representatives of the University shall pursue any legal action or proceedings for any action or statement made by MUNFA, its officers, employees or members during the strike. The University shall not aid, encourage, or finance any person or persons taking any such legal action.
11. Association dues shall be deducted from any salary earned by members of the bargaining unit during the period of the strike and shall be remitted to the Association, along with a list of those from whom such deductions were made and the amount of the deduction.
12. The period of the strike shall be considered "continuous full-time service" for all purposes (for example, but not limited to, the calculation of vacation entitlements, special assignment of duties in relation to parental responsibilities, sabbatical leave and pensionable service).
13. Salary paid to ASMs for the period between October 31, 2000 and November 3, 2000, and contributions of ASMs for employee benefits for the period of the strike shall be deducted in equal installments from the ASMs' gross pay during the last three pay periods of the year 2000.
14. MUNFA members shall be reimbursed for travel and research expenses incurred before or during the strike, if these expenses qualified for reimbursement prior to the strike.
15. The University shall ensure that accumulated mail is distributed in an expeditious manner.
16. All retroactive pay in respect of the revision of compensation schedules in the new Collective Agreement shall be paid as soon as possible after January 1, 2001.
17. ASMs who have submitted a PDER claim for the fiscal year 2000-2001 before the date of signing of this Collective Agreement shall have the right to submit a second PDER claim for the year 2000-2001.
President and Vice-Chancellor
Memorial University of Newfoundland
Memorial University of Newfoundland Faculty Association