Show up to compete for $1000!
Who would have thought your complaints could get you $1,000?
If you are currently enrolled as a full-time student in the Fall 2012 semester at Memorial University you are eligible to win $1000, $750, or $500!
Rant Like Rick Mercer Contest
Come to a Rant like Rick Mercer AUDITION on Monday, October 1st, 2012!
Details: Come prepared to rant on camera. Rants must be between 30 seconds and 90 seconds.
The top ten qualify for a Rantastic death match at the Rant Like Rick FINALS on Monday October 22th, 2012 Canadian Idol style.
- Students' entrants under the age of 18 on September 30th, 2012 must have signed consent from parent or legal guardian.
- Check out the competitions Rules & Regulations
So who is this Rick Mercer guy anyway?
Aside from being a recipient of an honorary degree from Memorial University , Rick also popularized the rant. When Rick heard about the "Rant Like Rick" idea, he was happy to lend his name to the project. You can check him out on the Rick Mercer Report every week.
A sister to the soliloquy and distant cousin of debate, a rant is an individual self-expression, or more simply put, an opinion. It is something that the “ranter” thinks should be known, and they’re not afraid to tell you about it.
A rant is usually done with wit and humor, at the same time expressing a position, a stance, or just something that you think is important. A good rant has the following components:
1. Clear structure
- Intro – Establish the topic of the rant.
- Middle – Provides a challenging statement which makes the listener/viewer think….The “AHA!” moment.
- End – Wrap up with a statement that leaves the listener/viewer with an understanding of the topic, i.e. a summary with a catch. The catch should include content but could also be a facial expression/movement.
2. A topic that is current
- Topic should not be threatening, include profanity or malign an individual or organizations’ reputation.
3. Utilizes facial expressions
4. Good intonation
5. Clear and concise message
Also remember, a rant can be as individualistic as the person ranting!
Check out what the Judges will be looking for in the Judges Judging Guidelines.
We knew you'd be interested in knowing the answer to this question! The Rant like Rick contest has a first place prize of $1000, a second place prize of $750 and a third place price of $500!! Not too shabby for a 30-90 sec rant now is it?
Get your own rant together for a chance to win. Keep it clean and keep it on a topic that is important to you. So read the Rules and Regulations, get camera ready, and show up to UC3018 on Monday October 1st, 2012 to get your rant on (minimum 30sec – maximum 90sec). Now that you know all that, let’s see what you can do!
Click the button below to read the 2012 Rules and Regulations, after you've done that click Register to sign up for the auditions. Auditions are open to anyone, even if you haven't registered. However, we cannot guarantee an audition spot if you don't register, so make sure you register just in case!