Podcast of a Roundtable Commemorating the Titanic:
“World's Largest Metaphor sinks Iceberg”
- Cecilia Moloney (engineering and applied science): ship as a metaphor in electronic systems;
- Kathy Simonsen (classics department, arts faculty): ships in antiquity, hubris and the carry-over to the Titanic;
- Rainer Baehre (historical studies, Sir Wilfred Grenfell campus): "opting out" of Titanic mythology, shipwreck in Newfoundland and Labrador
- Ross Klein (school of social work): cruise lines and repeating "Titanic" mistakes.
- Chair Valerie Burton (MSRU chair)
The event took place on Tuesday, April 3, 2012 and was sponsored by the Maritime Studies Research Unit and the Department of History
* Advertisement for the Titanic attraction at Coney Island’s Amusement Park, 1912: reproduced by courtesy of the Peabody Museum.