Maritime History On-line Catalogue

Home New Search



The front cover of a journal from the HMS Calypso collection


Record No: tlc00000056
Title: HMS Calypso Construction Journals
Dates: 1881-1952.
Location: R71-13 MHA
Extent: 5cm of textual material including 3 bound volumes
Source of Supplied Title: Title based on description.
Adm. Hist/Bio. Sketch: HMS CALYPSO was a British naval vessel built in Chatham, 1881-1884. Third class cruiser, 2814.32 tonnes. Used at Newfoundland as a training and drill ship for the Newfoundland Naval Reserve. Stationed at Argentia. In 1914 used to protect Newfoundland shores and shipping. In 1922 the vessel was purchased by A.H.Murray and Co. and used to store salt. Vessel was renamed the BRITON.
Scope and Content: The collection consists primarily of three journals relating to the construction of the vessel, HMS CALYPSO. Journal 1 provides details of the vessel's construction kept by J.H. Lovell, carpenter at Chatham Dockyard, 1881. Journal 2 is a book of weights for the vessel, 1883-1884. Journal 3 contains detailed sketches of the machinery aboard the vessel, 1883. Each journal contains detailed hand drawn and painted illustrations. Other files include two peices of correspondence, one of which is a letter from David Murray to the editor of Shipbuilding and Shipping Record regarding the construction and history of the vessel, 2 Aug. 1952.
Terms Governing Use: Copyright expired.
Acquisition Source: Eldon Moss
Custodial History: This material belonged to David Murray, partner in A.H. Murray & Co.
Subject: Murray, David
Subject: Calypso (Ship)
Subject: Briton (Ship)
Subject: Naval architecture
Subject: Machinery


Home New Search



single pixel single pixel
single pixel

© 2003 - 2005 Maritime History Archive, Memorial University