Maritime History On-line Catalogue

Home New Search

Record No: mha00000352
Fonds Title:Great Britain Board of Trade fonds
Series Title: Agreements and Crew Lists, series II (BT 99) fonds
Dates: 1863-1938, 1951-1976
Creator: Great Britain. Board of Trade.
Level of Description: Series
Extent: 6,416 metres of textual records
Source of Supplied Title: Title taken from the Information Sheet No. 5 of the Public Record Office relating to the records of the Registrar General of Shipping and Seamen.
Adm. Hist/Bio. Sketch: The Registrar of Seamen was established through the Merchant Shipping Act of 1835. The role changed throughout the 19th century until the 1872 Merchant Shipping Act, when he also accepted responsibility for shipping as well as for seamen and became the Registrar General of Shipping and Seamen.
The crew agreements are descendants of the ancient muster rolls. They were submitted by the masters of all merchant ships registered under the British flag, from 1854 onwards. At the beginning of a voyage each seaman and officer entered into an agreement with the managing owner of the vessel, which outlined the terms and conditions of the voyage. This crew agreement, (and the official logbook) were delivered up to the Registrar General of Shipping and Seamen at the completion of the voyage.
Scope and Content: Series consists of agreements and accounts of crew and official logbooks for British Empire vessels. The agreements contain data on the vessel and its ownership, as well as the names of the officers and seamen; their date and place of birth; the date of joining and leaving the vessel; the previous vessel; their rank, wages, and reason for discharge and the ports of call of the voyage. Records are arranged chronologically and numerically by the official number of the vessel, within each year.
Terms Governing Use: Copyright held by the Public Record Office, England.
Associated Material: Crew Agreements and Official Logbooks, 1861-1922 held at the County Record Offices of the British Isles.
Custodial History: The series consists of approximately 70% of all the surviving records in this series. The remaining 30% are at various repositories in Britain. The records were transferred to MUN after a decision was made by the British authorities that the series could no longer be maintained by the crown.
Finding Aids: MHA finding aid 38 & 39.
An electronic finding aid is available
Subject: Merchant seamen.
Subject: Merchant ships.
Subject: Merchant marine Officers.
Subject: Crew lists.
Subject: Logbooks.
Subject: Crew agreements.
Authors_Corporate Name: Great Britain. Board of Trade.
Online Material: https://www.mun.ca/mha/1881/crews1881.php


Home New Search



single pixel single pixel
single pixel

© 2003 - 2005 Maritime History Archive, Memorial University