Maritime History On-line Catalogue
|Home New Search|
|Record No:|| mha00000271|
|Title:|| John Richard Goodridge fonds|
|Dates:|| Transcribed [196?] (originally created 1872-1913)|
|Location:|| MF-0042 MHA|
|Provenance:|| Goodridge, John Richard, d. 1913|
|Extent:|| 1 cm of textual records|
|Source of Supplied Title:|| Title based on contents of the fonds|
|Restrictions:|| No restrictions|
|Adm. Hist/Bio. Sketch:|| John Richard Goodridge (18?-1913), importer-exporter, was the son of Alan Goodridge (1808-1884) and partner in Alan Goodridge & Sons Limited with his father and brothers Henry C. and Augustus F. Goodridge. In 1891, Goodridge married Annie Lenora, daughter of Thomas Trumble of Ballymote, County Sligo, Ireland.|
In the late nineteenth century, Alan Goodridge & Sons Limited was one of the most successful firms in Newfoundland. The firm owned one of the largest shipping fleets in Newfoundland, and was Newfoundland's second and third largest exporter of codfish in 1894 and 1895, respectively. Their waterfront premises in St. John's occupied an entire block, bounded on the east by Beck's Cove and on the west by Codner's Cove. The firm operated extensively on the Southern Shore, with branches at Bay Bulls, Witless Bay, Tors Cove, Ferryland, Calvert (Caplin Bay), Fermeuse, and Renews. It also had branches in Placentia Bay, Trinity Bay (Nipper's Harbour and New Perlican), Green Bay, St. Mary's Bay, and Labrador.
Alan Goodridge had originally been involved in a business established by his father, Henry, at Renews, but in 1839, he began to export fish and import goods on his own account. For a few years, he was in partnership with a John Goodridge, possibly his brother, under the banner of Alan Goodridge and Company. In the mid-1850s, Alan shifted the headquarters of the firm from Renews to St. John's. Two years later, Alan's youngest son, Henry Churchward, joined the firm, prompting a name change to Alan Goodridge & Son. In 1862, a second son, Augustus Frederick, joined the firm, followed by John Richard in 1866. With these new additions, the firm's name became Alan Goodridge & Sons Limited. Alan Goodridge retired from the business in 1878.
Despite prosperity in the late 1800s, the firm was forced to declare insolvency following the bank crash of 1894. The Goodridges reorganized the business and, in 1912, the firm was incorporated as Alan Goodridge & Sons Limited. In 1917, the company liquidated and re-emerged as Goodridge & Company Limited. This new firm liquidated in 1922 and re-emerged as Renews Trading Company Limited. Renews Trading Company became Tors Cove Trading Company Limited in 1926 and continued under that name until the 1960s, when it was sold to other parties.
|Scope and Content:|| Fonds consists of a typed transcript of a diary of John Richard Goodridge for 1872-1913. The diary gives information relating to his involvement in the business of Alan Goodridge & Sons with partners Henry C. Goodridge and Augustus F. Goodridge. It also accounts his travels relating to marketing Newfoundland fish and purchasing vessels|
|Reproduction Note:|| Location of the original diary is not known.|
|Terms Governing Use:|| Users should be aware that copyright rules and regulations may apply to some parts of this fonds|
|Associated Material:|| Alan Goodridge & Sons Limited fonds|
|Subject:|| Goodridge Family History.|
|Authors_Personal Name:|| Goodridge, John R. (John Richard) fl. 1872-1913.|
Home New Search