Maritime History On-line Catalogue
|Home New Search|
|Record No:|| mha00000237|
|Title:|| C. W. Kellock & Co. collection|
|Location:|| Mic.5-3-5-(8-11) MHA|
|Creator:|| C.W. Kellock & Co.|
|Extent:|| 4 microfilm reels|
|Source of Supplied Title:|| Title based on contents of the collection|
|Restrictions:|| No restrictions|
|Adm. Hist/Bio. Sketch:|| C.W. Kellock & Co. was one of the leading merchant firms and ship brokers in Liverpool and London in the mid-nineteenth century. The company had its origins in a firm established in Liverpool by Daniel Tonge (1788-1848) in 1820. Tonge was a master mariner and shipowner in Liverpool who established himself as a merchant and agent for the sale of ships. By 1846, his son Percival had joined him to form Daniel Tonge and Son. Two years later, Henry Curry (d. 1865) was taken into the partnership, which was renamed Tonge, Curry & Co.|
In 1850, Charles Walford Kellock (d. 1897), the son of Henry Gray Kellock, joined the firm as partner with Henry Curry and Percival Tonge. Five years later, the partnership was dissolved, with Percival Tonge continuing under the name of Tonge & Co. and Charles W. Kellock remaining with Henry Curry to form Curry, Kellock & Co. In October 1864, that partnership was dissolved and two companies emerged: H.F. Curry & Co. and C.W. Kellock & Co. H.F. Curry & Co. ceased operations in 1866, the year after Henry Curry's death.
After 1864 C.W. Kellock greatly expanded his business and opened an office in London under the management of his brother W.B. Kellock. In 1885, the management of the London office was taken over by George Kay, a partner of C.W. Kellock. In the mid-1800s, Kellock's two eldest sons, William Walter Kellock (d. 1929) and Henry Gray Kellock (d. 1926), joined the company and later became partners. Charles W. Kellock retired from the company and died in 1897. The company continued to operate under the partnership of his two sons. Upon their deaths, the management of the company was taken over by various senior partners within the firm. The Liverpool office was closed in 1972, but the London office is still active.
Taken from the finding aid. Source: National Maritime Museum, Guide to the Manuscript Collections, 1980.
|Scope and Content:|| Collection consists of extracts from the business papers of the firm of C. W. Kellock and its predecessors, selected by Dr. Keith Matthews, Memorial University of Newfoundland. The selected records are copies of memoranda of agreements (sales contracts) for the Liverpool office, 1850-1945. The records contain data on virtually every vessel which passed through the hands of the company, including each vessel's name and tonnage, the purchaser and seller, the selling price, and the conditions of sale|
|Reproduction Note:|| Microfilmed from the original records on loan at the National Maritime Museum, Greenwich.|
|Terms Governing Use:|| Copyright held by the National Maritime Museum, Greenwich.|
|Custodial History:|| The Records of C.W. Kellock and Co. were deposited on loan to the National Maritime Museum by the Liverpool office of the company in 1970. They include the papers on Tonge, Curry and Co. 1850-1855: Curry and Co. 1855 to 1857; Curry, Kellock and Co. 1857-1864 and C. W. Kellock and Co., 1864 to 1949. Selections for the microfilming were made by Dr. Keith Matthews. A copy of his report is appended to the finding aid. |
|Finding Aids:|| MHA finding aid 66|
|Local Note:|| Some volumes also include contemporary index of vessel names.|
|Subject:|| Shipbrokers England Liverpool.|
|Subject:|| Merchants England Liverpool.|
|Subject:|| Liverpool (England).|
|Authors_Personal Name:|| Kellock, C.W. (Charles Walford) d. 1897.|
Home New Search