Maritime History On-line Catalogue

Home New Search



An assortment of material found in the Hodge fonds


Record No: mha00000214
Title: J. W. Hodge (Change Islands, Newfoundland) fonds
Dates: 1872-1957
Location: Banks 10 and 11
Creator: J.W. Hodge. Change Island Branch (Nfld.)
Extent: 11 m of textual records
Organization: Arranged in four series: Correspondence, 1888-1937; Financial records, 1872-1957; Miscellaneous, 1920-1928; Shipping and fisheries papers, 1884-1941.
Source of Supplied Title: Title based on the earliest company represented in the fonds
Restrictions: No restrictions
Adm. Hist/Bio. Sketch: J. W. Hodge (Change Islands, Newfoundland) was a branch of J. W. Hodge, a fish and fishery supply business headquartered in Fogo, with branches at Twillingate, Change Islands, and Joe Batt's Arm from 1887-1918. John Wheadon Hodge established himself at the head of a business that became one of the most prominent mercantile firms operating in northeastern Newfoundland. Hodge also owned a small fleet of fishing schooners.
     From the 1870s to 1887, the business at Change Islands was owned by William Waterman & Co., a partnership which included Thomas Dorman Hodge, Richard Dorman Hodge, William Waterman, and William Edward Waterman. This partnership operated businesses at Fogo, Twillingate, and Change Islands. The Change Islands branch was managed by James Cox Waterman. In 1887, John Wheadon Hodge purchased the Change Islands operations from the partnership and operated it under his own name as J.W. Hodge. He retained J. C. Waterman as agent, who was later suceeded by Lewis G. Hyde.
     In 1918, J. W. Hodge withdrew from business and Hyde assumed control of the Change Islands branch, operating it independently until 1922, when he sold it to the Newfoundland and Labrador Export Company. Members of the Hodge family owned shares in the business under Lewis G. Hyde. They were also major shareholders in the Newfoundland and Labrador Export Company.
Scope and Content: Fonds consists of the business records of the J.W. Hodge branch at Change Islands and includes ledgers, journals, and other business records spanning almost 90 years of operation from the early 1870s to the end of the 1950s. It represents the records of four successive businesses that operated from the same premises during the period: William Waterman & Co.; J.W. Hodge; Lewis G. Hyde; and the Newfoundland and Labrador Export Company. Upon change in ownership, each new business assumed the records of its predecessor; thus, there is little apparent break in the records themselves. The original order has not been maintained
     Fonds is arranged in four series: Correspondence, 1888-1937; Financial records, 1872-1957; Miscellaneous, 1920-1928; and Shipping and fisheries papers, 1884-1941
Terms Governing Use: Copyright held by the creator or his heirs.
Associated Material: See also J. W. Hodge (Fogo) fonds; Hodge Brothers (Twillingate) fonds; J. W. Hodge (Joe Batt's Arm) fonds
Custodial History: The records were housed in a fish store owned by Bernard Peckford
Finding Aids: MHA finding aid 69
Subject: Salt fish industry.
Subject: Merchants Newfoundland.
Subject: Change Islands (N.L.)
Subject: Business records.
Subject: Diaries.
Subject: Letterbooks.
Authors_Personal Name: Hyde, Lewis G.
Authors_Corporate Name: Waterman and Company.
Authors_Corporate Name: Newfoundland and Labrador Export Company.


Home New Search



single pixel single pixel
single pixel

© 2003 - 2005 Maritime History Archive, Memorial University