Maritime History On-line Catalogue
|Home New Search|
|Record No:|| mha00000212|
|Title:|| Hilyard Brothers fonds|
|Dates:|| Photocopied [197?] (originally created 1855-1881)|
|Location:|| R95-17 MHA|
|Creator:|| Hilyard Brothers (firm)|
|Extent:|| 3.5 cm of textual records|
|Source of Supplied Title:|| Title is based on the creator of the fonds|
|Restrictions:|| No restrictions.|
|Adm. Hist/Bio. Sketch:|| Hilyard Brothers was an extensive lumber and shipbuilding business, established in New Brunswick by Thomas Hilyard (1810-1872) in the mid-1800s. Thomas was born at Saint John, New Brunswick in October 1810, the son of Thomas Hilyard and Margaret Miles. He married Matilda Dyer (1821-1896) and they had sixteen children. Hilyard died in 1872 at Saint John.|
Little is known of Hilyard's activities prior to 1852. In 1842 he described himself as a shipwright; he was also a registered shipowner. With the construction of two big ships in 1852, he started ship building on a
large scale. He obtained, first by lease and later by purchase, a shipyard in Portland, Saint John County. In 1854, he bought an adjoining steam sawmill. In 1856 or 1857, he expanded by leasing and subsequently purchasing a neighbouring shipyard from John Haws, who was the leading shipbuilder in the area.
Hilyard launched at least 48 vessels, a number surpassed by few Canadian builders. His larger ships were often sold to major shipowners in Liverpool, England while the smaller vessels were generally sold locally. He gained a high reputation as a shipbuilder and the quality and quantity of his ships and the extent of his saw milling operations made him a leading figure in the economic life of the Saint John region.
Following Hilyard's death in 1872, his two sons, Thomas K. and Henry (1848-1909) continued the enterprise, moving into vessel repair and lumbering. The business closed in 1915.
|Scope and Content:|| Fonds consists of photocopied papers selected from the original records held at the New Brunswick Museum, Saint John. The holdings copied for MHA represent approximately ten percent of the Hilyard fonds held by the New Brunswick Museum.|
The fonds consists of thirty-three items containing accounts, leases, bills of sale, contracts to build vessels, correspondence, ships' papers and a co-partnership agreement.
The fonds includes accounts, 1855-63; leases for shipyard, 1857-64; bills of sale for vessels, 1856-64, Moss Rose; contracts to build vessels, 1855-65; correspondence, 1862-80; insurance policy for the Lottie Stewart, 1876; ships' papers, 1864-81, including the Meeranza at Liverpool, a charter party for the Teresa; and a co-partnership agreement, 1869.
|Reproduction Note:|| Photocopied from the original documents held at the New Brunswick Museum.|
|Terms Governing Use:|| Copyright held by the New Brunswick Museum.|
|Finding Aids:|| MHA finding aid 87|
|Finding Aid on the Web:||http://www.mun.ca/mha/holdings/findingaids/maritime.php#Hilyard|
|Subject:|| Shipbuilding New Brunswick.|
|Authors_Personal Name:|| Hilyard, Thomas, 1810-1873.|
Home New Search