Maritime History On-line Catalogue

Home New Search



The cover page of a Price Book found in this fonds


Record No: mha00000061
Title: Brooking & Co. fonds
Dates: 1859-1872
Location: MF-0198 MHA
Creator: Brooking & Co.
Extent: 1 cm of textual records
Source of Supplied Title: Title based on contents of the fonds
Restrictions: No restrictions
Adm. Hist/Bio. Sketch: Brooking & Co. was a St. John's-based mercantile firm, with branches in Trinity and Greenspond between 1850 and 1869. The firm was a successor to Robinson Brooking & Co., a major mercantile company in St. John's in the early 1800s.
     Thomas Holdsworth Brooking (b. 1790) came to Newfoundland in 1806-7 as a mercantile clerk in the firm of Hart, Eppes, Gaden & Robinson of St. John's and London. In 1818, when the Newfoundland partner George Richard Robinson (nephew of George Garland) retired to the head office in London, Brooking became the resident partner in Newfoundland. Subsequently, the company traded as Hart, Robinson & Company. In 1838 Robinson & Brooking leased the Garland premises at Trinity.
     Following the retirement and death of Robinson in 1850, Brooking continued the firm under the name of Brooking & Co., with William Lockyer as agent at Trinity. The firm relinquished its lease on the Garland premises in 1869, the year in which Brooking died, and the Garland premises were taken over by Grieve & Bremner. Expensive litigation between Brooking's two sons resulted in the rapid demise of the company.
Scope and Content: Fonds consists of a list of prices charged by the company for specific items, showing cash or "on account" charges, 1859-72. Separate lists exist for summer, fall, and winter prices. Fonds also documents price-fixing between Brooking & Co. and Grieve & Bremner in the 1860s
Associated Material: Grieve and Bremner fonds
Associated Material: Robinson Brooking & Co. fonds
Custodial History: Acquired by the MHA in 197-.
Subject: Merchants Newfoundland.
Subject: Trinity (N.L.) Merchants.


Home New Search



single pixel single pixel
single pixel

© 2003 - 2005 Maritime History Archive, Memorial University