Wild Cove (pop. 1935, 38) is an abandoned fishing community located in Canada Bay, approximately 7 km southwest of Englee.
In 1872 a naval officer investigating the French Shore fishery did not note any inhabitants at Wild Cove. Wild Cove first appears in the Census (as Gouffre Harbour) in 1884 with a population of 23, but there were only 10 by 1891 and in 1904 the cove was inhabited by the family of John Stuckless. The earliest settlers were all Roman Catholics, but those recorded in the twentieth century were all Protestant. Presumably, some of the first settlers moved to Canada Harbour after the French abandoned that station in about 1880. In 1921 (by which time the population had increased to 39) family names of Wild Cove included Burton, Cassell, Clements, Jenkins, Johnson and Pittman -- all of whom had settled between 1904 and 1912. Most of these people moved on to Roddickton as the sawmilling industry developed there in the 1930s and 1940s, although seasonal fishing premises continued to be maintained at Wild Cove.
From the Encyclopedia of Newfoundland and Labrador