- The Move
A video on the resettlement of the Rumboldt family
in 1968.




Bibliography

Image Acknowledgements



  En français









Cape Cove

Cape Cove (pop. 1945, 51) was a resettled community located on the northeast side of Fogo Island and was settled in the early 1800s by Irish Roman Catholic settlers. E.R. Seary (1976) records a Catherine Kennedy as a resident of Cape Cove in 1827 and the settlement is first reported in the Census of 1845, with a population of three, all involved in fishing (cod) and sealing.

By 1901 the population had reached 41, composed of 10 families, all Roman Catholic, with one school reported operating. Fishing remained the economic base of Cape Cove, which was accessible only by boat. This extreme isolation and the decline of the cod and seal fisheries in the 1900s led to the resettlement of Cape Cove and by 1953 it was one of 29 Newfoundland communities resettled, at an average cost of $301 per family.


From the Encyclopedia of Newfoundland and Labrador


House of Albert Cluett, Sr. being moved<br>from Cape Cove to Tilting, June 1959

House of Albert Cluett, Sr. being moved
from Cape Cove to Tilting, June 1959

Larger Version
Caribou grazing at Cape Cove near Bernard Cluett's abandoned house, 199-

Caribou grazing at Cape Cove near Bernard Cluett's abandoned house, 199-
Larger Version


Sheep grazing at Cape Cove near Bernard Cluett's abandoned house, 199-

Sheep grazing at Cape Cove near Bernard Cluett's abandoned house, 199-
Larger Version
Off Cape Cove, near graveyard, 1990

Off Cape Cove, near graveyard, 1990
Larger Version


Gravestone, Cape Cove, 1993

Gravestone, Cape Cove, 1993
Larger Version
Restored graveyard, Cape Cove, after 1993

Restored graveyard, Cape Cove, after 1993
Larger Version


House of Albert Cluett, Sr. in Tilting, Fogo Island, 2006

House of Albert Cluett, Sr. in Tilting, Fogo Island, 2006
Larger Version
House of Albert Cluett, Sr. in Tilting, Fogo Island, 2009

House of Albert Cluett, Sr. in Tilting, Fogo Island, 2009
Larger Version


Former Cape Cove house used as a barn in Tilting, Fogo Island, 2009

Former Cape Cove house used as a barn in Tilting, Fogo Island, 2009
Larger Version




single pixel single pixel
single pixel single pixel single pixel single pixel single pixel single pixel
single pixel

© 2003 - 2012 Maritime History Archive, Memorial University