St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada.
REPORT OF THE PRESIDENT 1953-1954
The total enrolment was 457 students, 317 men and 140 women. The enrolment of 363 in the 1953 Summer Session is additional. For the regular session the registration was as follows:
Of the 457 students, 200 were domiciled in St. John's and 257 outside St. John's.
For the past five years of the University the registration has been 308 in 1949-1950; 400 in 1950-1951; 418 in 1951-1952; 457 in 1952-1953; and 457 in 1953-1954.
Professor Helen M. Lodge (Education) returned to the University from a year's sabbatical leave spent at the University of Toronto. Associate-Professor J. B. Ashley (Classics) is spending his sabbatical year at Fordham University and Associate-Professor W. G. Rowe (Education) at Columbia University. Associate-Professor Ethel Brinton (Modern Languages) has been given two years leave of absence without pay and is spending it at the University of Mexico. New appointments were made, taking effect at the beginning of the academic year in the Departments of English, History, Education, Mathematics, Chemistry, Physics, and Physical Education. In the academic year 1954-1955 new appointments will be made in the Departments of English, History, Economics, Geology, Biology, Engineering. Appointment in the Department of Physics has also been advertised. Dr. A. C. Hunter will sever his connection with the Department of English and be occupied full time in the Department of Modern Languages.
Progress in the building up of our library collection was maintained. Over 2,500 volumes were received during the year and about half of this number have been classified and catalogued. Sections of the library which have received special attention are Language and Literature, Pure and Applied Science and the Social Sciences. In the natural sciences, especially in Chemistry, we have now complete runs of the leading journals and are rapidly acquiring all the basic authoritative works of reference that will be required here. The library received some two hundred and forty periodicals which represents an increase of forty titles over the number received last year. The greater number of these periodicals are in the field of science. A microfilm reader was added to the library equipment during the year and a beginning was made in building up a microfilm library. Arrangements have been made to receive all microfilms of Colonial Office Records relating to Newfoundland, through the Department of Public Archives, Ottawa.
A new laboratory was added to the Chemistry Department and this Department has now completed the move from the main building into the University Annex. The laboratory previously used in the main building for Chemistry is being divided and used by the Departments of Biology and Physics.
All Science departments are busily engaged in building up their equipment for the better servicing of existing courses and for the additional courses which have been planned.
Concomitant with the building up of staff, substantial additions to laboratory equipment and rapid enlargement of the library, new courses are being provided in a number of departments. It is expected that this will be the situation for the next several years. A most important step forward was the provision by new regulations, of Honours courses additional to the Pass degree courses, and regulations for the conferring of the Master's degree. Several students have already been accepted for the Master's work in Chemistry.
The University has been the recipient of many generous gifts, including scholarships, gifts of money, and books to the library. These are listed as follows:
A gift of chemical apparatus and supplies from Messrs. Job Brothers Limited of St. John's, consisting of a number of pieces of equipment most useful to the University in advanced teaching in chemistry, is now being used to equip an advanced laboratory for teaching and research.
Mr. E. W. Gaze presented a gift of Cormack's Journey across Newfoundland which has the added value of bearing Cormack's signature. A map of Cormack's journey across Newfoundland annotated by Cormack was given to the University by Messrs. Arch and Henley Munn.
The Business and Professional Women's Club of St. John's announced during the year the establishment of a scholarship tenable at the Memorial University of Newfoundland, to be awarded to a woman student at the end of her first year to enable her to proceed to further studies, and, subject to the approval of the Faculty, to be retained by that student for the full University course, after which it will be open to another second year student. The scholarship is to be named "The Business and Professional Women's Club Scholarship" and its value will be One Hundred and Fifty Dollars a year.
This year the University announced the receipt of two entrance scholarships valued at Five Hundred Dollars per annum for four years which are offered by the Union Carbide of Canada Limited, tenable at the Memorial University of Newfoundland. These scholarships will be awarded in alternate years to matriculated students who intend eventually to enter business or industry and who have the necessary talents and ambition for careers in such fields as accounting, administration, advertising, credit development, engineering, finance, health and safety, industrial relations, international trade, law, patents, production, publicity, purchasing, research, traffic or sales.
The Investment Dealers Association of Canada sent a useful collection of books, pamphlets, and courses from the Montreal office.
The Caribou Chapter of the I.O.D.E. made a donation to the President's Students' Assistance Fund.
The St. John's Glee Club also made a donation to the President's Students' Assistance Fund.
The students were again indebted to Mr. W. Perlin for his gift of Community Concert tickets.
Gifts of books to the Library were received from the following:
Dr. Robert Saunders
The President, Dr. Raymond Gushue
Mr. James Ayre
A. M. Fraser, Esq., M.A., M.P.
Professor M. O. Morgan
Professor N. J. P. Brown
Mrs. Derek Bowring
E. W. Gaze, Esq.
J. G. Higgins, Esq., B.A., Q.C.
Reverend Brother J. P. Keane
Graham Moores, Esq.
Dr. E. R. Seary
The Spring Convocation for the granting of degrees took place on May 19th, 1954. The Chancellor of the University, the Right Honourable Viscount Rothermere, presided and the special speaker was Dr. B. Ifor Evans, Provost of University College of the University of London. The following degrees and certificates were conferred:
New Campus and University Buildings
A great deal of intensive work has been done towards the planning of the new university campus. The overall layout, which should suffice for many years, and in which the physical features of the campus are being utilized to the best possible advantage, having both practical and aesthetic considerations in mind, has been approved. Detailed plans and specifications are now being prepared for one building and the preliminary steps leading to this work being done in relation to other buildings.
A number of distinguished visitors gave lectures at the University during the year, particularly in the Department of Engineering. Dr. C. R. Fay, Professor Emeritus of Cambridge University (Economic History), gave a series of twelve most interesting and attractive lectures at the University during the Fall of 1953 on the Social and Economic History of Newfoundland.
Student activities were well maintained under the direction of the Students' Representative Council. The gymnasium was used to great advantage and the student body benefited much from the direction and guidance of the new Director of Physical Education, Mr. J. D. Eaton. There was more interest than for many years in public speaking which proved to be both an attraction and a help to a great many students.
The practice of having all students attached to a Faculty Adviser, which was instituted on an experimental basis in the preceding academic year, was in operation from the beginning of the year. It has proved to be of considerable value to a number of students and will be maintained.
Student Discipline, etc.
Reference was made in my immediately preceding Report to plans for taking a number of steps aimed at improving student discipline and student morale. These were all brought into force and throughout the year the tone of the University has been markedly higher than in the previous year. Complaints of unpunctuality and improper absence and other acts of indiscipline have been fewer. Students seemeed to acquire a sense of responsibility as members of the University family and were generally more interested and more assiduous in their work. This was reflected in improved results, with a noticeable exception in the case of one group. Members of the Faculty generally and the Students' Representative Council participated in a number of ways in bringing about this result. The appointment of a Physical Director was wise and we have seen much good of it. It has contributed very directly to the creation of the healthier attitude observable generally in the University.
From the standpoint of good relations within the University, the year has undoubtedly been worthwhile. Reference has already been made to the improved morale of the student body. The Faculty has worked well and closely together and the exchange of views and discussion of problems which impinge on more than one Department has been made easier. The number of student assemblies was increased, and useful programmes offered. In addition, the members of the Faculty and of the student body met informally a number of times during the year at a "University Hour" where they mingled freely and discussed matters of interest with individuals and groups. A formal admission ceremony for freshman students, and a formal visit by His Honour the Lieutenant Governor as statutory Visitor to the University, contributed to esprit-de-corps. It is planned to have these maintained as regular functions of the University.
It is felt also that the relations between the University and the Department of Education, the Newfoundland Teachers' Association, practising teachers and the public generally have been strengthened. There has been closer contact with these bodies, and as a result a feeling of mutual respect and cooperation has been developed. We have been most happy too in our close relations with the educational institutions affiliated with the University. A number of Faculty members have served in various ways in community activities.
It is hoped that the large scale effort, with the collaboration of officers of the Department of Education, the Superintendents of Education, and the Newfoundland Teachers' Association, to check the spiral of decline and bring about the utmost possible articulation of the work of the secondary school and the University will soon bear fruit. It is understood that the recommendations from the series of meetings held have been accepted by the Government and will be implemented by the appointment of a Standing Advisory Committee to the Minister of Education, the personnel of which will include educationists, members of professional societies and the public. The University has, through its early and unremitting interest in this endeavour, made a distinct contribution to the cause of Education in Newfoundland.
It is not a light task to move from the status of a University College to that of a University which will be looked to as an institution of light and learning. In four years rapid progress has been made. The pace has been accelerated during the latter half of the period by the utilization of the Federal grant to the University, which was not available nor contemplated at the beginning. This grant is based on population and because of the comparatively small percentage who attend university in Newfoundland, is larger per student here than elsewhere. That is a matter for concern rather than for satisfaction. The added assistance, for which we are grateful, is being used to speed our plans, which contemplate the attendance at university of a steadily increasing percentage of our population. This is not just an idle hope -- we are providing the facilities for such an increase in a spirit of expectation and optimism.
The next academic year will see no slackening in our forward march. Further additions to personnel are being carefully made, and new courses provided in a number of departments. To illustrate at random, Geology will be a full Department in which, instead of giving one course as in the past, we shall give eight courses. The Department of Economics and Political Science is being split into two departments, with new appointments permitting expansion of courses in each. Regulations have been passed providing for the Honours degree as well as the General degree in both Arts and Science. Students having the interest and ability will be encouraged, by complying with requirements covering direction, quantity, and quality of work to read for Honours de- grees. Since the University is now in a position to admit graduate students to courses leading to the Master's degree in certain subjects, the appropriate regulations for the awarding of such degrees have been passed.
All this denotes progress, swift in some cases but sure in all. It brings closer the fulfillment of the vision seen when the University was founded, and expressed so well at another Convocation by the Chancellor and the Chairman of the Board of Regents. That vision was of a University in Newfoundland which would open the door of opportunity to many, and whose influence through the years on the cultural, economic, professional and community life of Newfoundland would be profound.
We shall never reach the point where nothing remains to be done, since mankind will never be static. We are, however, moving closer to the goal of which the Chancellor spoke, in describing the role of the University at his installation, as follows:
Department of Biology
This, like other departments, reports an improved general tone which may justify hope for the future success of students but does not in the present year altogether make good their deficiencies.
Pre-Medical students are the special concern of this Department. The decision of the Faculty of Medicine of Dalhousie University to require three years' college study before admission to the medical school is welcomed by the Department which has long recognized the objections to having ill-prepared matriculants attempt so exacting a course as has been the rule. It will now be possible to work out a more varied curriculum which need not overtax the normal student.
Detailed memoranda have already been submitted concerning the planned and prospective expansion of the work of the department of Biology.
Discussions have taken place during the year with respect to the establishment of courses in Marine Biology. It is hoped that the close co-operation and indeed active participation of the Newfoundland Station of the Fisheries Research Board of Canada may be obtained for this programme of studies. The progress to date is encouraging.
Members of the Department undertook, during this past summer, an investigation of the biology of the Arctic Char (Salvelinus Alpinus Linnaeus) of Northern Labrador. This study was under the auspices of the Newfoundland Station of the Fisheries Research Board of Canada.
Much data were obtained and through the winter months the results have been worked up to such an extent that trends in a policy of management and conservation are evident.
Results have been presented at a seminar meeting of the scientific staff of the Research Station and also at a meeting of the Newfoundland Natural History Society.
A grant by the National Research Council in support of an investigation centered around "Studies in Fish Migration" has continued and will continue through the summer months of this year. These experiments are being conducted in the Department of Biology under the direct supervision of the Head of the Department.
Mr. A. R. Graham will join the Department of Biology in September of this year with the Associate Professor rank. Miss June Miles, B.A., Demonstrator in Biology, was married at the close of the academic year and will not be returning in September.
Department of Chemistry
The appointment of two senior instructors permitted an extension of the work of the department and several new classes of instruction were introduced. Details of these have been published.
The first graduate student began work towards the M.Sc. degree in September 1953.
Plans of new courses have been presented, and will be given provided suitable demonstration can be arranged.
The Fisheries Research Laboratories were completed during the year. A new Physical Measurements Laboratory was occupied jointly by Physics and Chemistry. A new organic Laboratory is now being completed, and further expansion using now unoccupied basement rooms is in the planning stage. When these have been completed the Department will move from the main building to the Annex.
Three students have been admitted to the graduate school in Chemistry, and one application is pending for the next University year.
Dr. Forbes has for two years been awarded a National Research Council grant for special research. Other useful pieces of research are being undertaken under his direction.
Mr. G. E. Cameron left the staff of the Department at the end of the academic year 1952-1953, and Miss Audrey Ralph was granted two years leave of absence to pursue further studies. Dr. W. F. Forbes came to the Department from the University of Nottingham, and Dr. H. J. Anderson from two years post doctoral work at Oxford University.
Department of Geology
The opening of a new Department of Geology and appointment of a head of the Department has been of general advantage. Professor Baird has planned a programme of properly related and continuous courses, and the appointment of an additional teacher has been made. In these circumstances an autonomous department should attract a growing number of undergraduates to this interesting and important science.
Professor Baird has sound ideas about the place which ought to be occupied by Geology and related subjects, such as Geography and Botany, in general education and in the training of teachers, and, if they can be realized, they may help to dissipate the feeling of bookish unreality which attends much of the school teaching.
Dr. D. M. Baird was appointed Professor and Acting-Head of the Department in 1953-1954 and Mr. Burdett Lee Assistant Professor 1954-1955. This has made possible a substantial increase in courses offered.
Department of Physics
Reports from the Department of Physics are encouraging. The substance and methods of study and of examination were closely scrutinized and, where advisable, revised. Adjustment was made both to the present needs and circumstances of students, and to the exigencies of their subsequent studies; advantage was taken of the increased staff and accommodation; additional help was freely given to students through tutorial classes held partly at night.
The results, though below the hopes of the professors, show an improvement in both the quality and amount of work done. More experiments were completed in the first year classes, and both students and staff have been gratified by the advantage of having additional laboratory facilities.
Satisfactory honours courses have been planned and careful attention given to working out future needs in staff, equipment and premises implicit in the intended development of physics studies not unworthy of a university such as this. This prospective planning was not allowed to distract attention from freshman studies. It is intended, as means permit, to diversify first year study so as to suit properly distinguishable groups such as general arts students whose need is an intelligent appreciation of physical principles.
Mr. B. F. Long resigned his post as Professor and Head of the Department. Dr. S. W. Breckon came to the Department from McGill University as Professor and Acting Head, at the beginning of the Calendar year.
Department of English
The average quality of freshman students was unchanged. An unusually high proportion of freshmen in Education were revealed by the intelligence tests to have a quotient lower than the minimum requisite for effectual study, a regrettable fact confirmed by subsequent experience. This factor operates to reduce the level of achievement in second year courses, in which teachers are numerous. A reasonably high standard can, however, be imposed and attained in the third and fourth years.
In other first and second year groups, while the average intelligence was up to requirements, the quality of study was unsatisfactory. It ought to be possible, however, for the University to find means of getting capable students to do justice to their powers.
The department is geared for future progress, but if it is to realize all its possibilities certain provisos will have to be fulfilled. Schooling at pre-University level must not only achieve a higher standard but must be different in nature and method. Once at the University students must somehow be given a sense of serious purpose and aspiration. If freshman classes can be reduced to a size at which professors can undertake remedial teaching of the sub-standard, open opportunity to the competent, and themselves, through the lightening of the task of correcting and checking exercises, have leisure for thought and study, the effects would be marked.
Much thought was given to the designing of new patterns of study in conformity with the new general honours degree regulations. The new courses are more conventional in pattern than the old, division by chronological periods being used in the study of literature beyond the second year for all students pursuing the subject into their fourth year.
It is intended to lay before the Committee on Graduate Studies proposals concerning masters' degrees in English. The library will not for a long time be equipped to enable us to offer very wide scope, but by careful planning the department can undertake courses worthy of recognition elsewhere.
Dr. E. R. Seary came to us at the beginning of the academic year from the College of Arts and Science, Baghdad, Iraq, as full Professor. He will be Acting-Head beginning with the next academic year. Dr. A. C. Hunter will leave the Department to devote all his time to Modern Languages. Mr. G. M. Story will join the Department as Assistant Professor.
Department of Modern Languages
French. Reports on the assiduity and progress of students in the various classes have been almost uniformly favourable. This ought to mean that a proper standard has been reached, but unfortunately this is far from the truth. In both first and second year classes the standard is about one year behind what it was in the early days of the University College. The causes are partly in the high school study of French; but they are also partly in the general unthoughtfulness of students. In literature this reveals itself in the inability of students to master a text on their own, and the professor has to spend class time on elucidating texts which should be fully prepared in private study. Hence, little time remains for appreciative treatment and for the really indispensable inquiry into the civilization of the people whose language is being studied.
It will be interesting to observe the operation of the new plan for modern languages. A satisfactory beginners course in French has been devised. It remains however that two languages are on one footing and three on another. The only right way of making them even is to bring back the three languages into the schools, and it is hoped that if the high school curriculum, etc., is revised it will be found practicable to establish Spanish and German as regular subjects in Grades 9, 10, and 11. In certain areas arrangement or centralization of classes may have to be devised.
Miss Ethel Brinton has been granted an extension of her leave of absence. Dr. Jane Turnbull will continue to take her place.
German Students generally showed an improved attitude towards their work, which led to generally improved results.
The instructor remarks upon the better chance of students who have been well grounded in English and have studied some foreign language before entering college; on the importance of continuous study from year to year, a desideratum made easier of realization by certain proposed time-table alterations; and on the urgency of re-establishing the study of German in high schools.
Spanish The instructor speaks with warm appreciation of her classes in Spanish, their industry, their responsiveness, and their interest. She stresses the rapidity of the progress made in the freshman or beginners' class and rightly attributes it to their use of right methods from the start. Results are less gratifying in Spanish 2 because in her opinion, students may take it in any year after the first, which creates a harmful disparity of capacity and achievement.
Department of Classics
The year has been without anything outstanding to report. The professor has found his students more capable than he first judged, but has been struck by the lack of preparation for linguistic study, and of the art of study in general.
Mr. J. B. Ashley, on sabbatical leave, was replaced temporarily by Dr. Henri van Ginkel.
Department of Mathematics
The results generally showed an improvement over the previous year. The attitude of students to their work seemed to have improved.
Mr. A. J. Looker resigned his post and Dr. H. F. Northover was appointed as Associate Professor.
Department of Geology, History, Economics, and Political Science
Geography. The instructor reports that students have displayed growing interest and satisfactory industry. He notes with gratification that there were more students in Geography than ever before, among them a number of practising teachers, some at least of whom appear to have recognized the true value of the subject.
In conjunction with geology and nature study (in the narrower sense), geography can be very potent in bringing reality into the school, and the University may through its courses in these subjects be of great help in vitalizing the school curriculum. Its achievement of this wholesome aim will naturally be made easier by the promotion of geographical studies in the University to the greatest extent practicable.
History. The instructor makes no unfavourable report on his classes, whose work and progress may be taken to be satisfactory in the circumstances.
The Department will be considerably improved in September when a full-time man in Economics (leaving one member free to concentrate on Political Science) and a second man in History are added to the staff so that new courses may be offered and more individual attention may be given to students in History 1.
With the additions to staff, it is hoped that plans for a programme of research into the social, economic, and political history and problems of Newfoundland can be put into operation. A microfilm reader has been procured recently by the Library and microfilms of Newfoundland documents from the Public Records Office in London have been procured.
Dr. G. O. Rothney, who acted as locum tenens for Professor A. M. Fraser, on sabbatical leave for 1952-1953, was appointed Professor of History on the resignation of the latter. Mr. Murray Young will join the department at the beginning of the academic year 1954-1955.
Political Science. More first-year students than usual took Political Science 1 and more readiness was shown by students to exchange ideas with the professor. This indicates a rising and more intelligent interest in the subject, and the department is right in planning an extended programme beginning from first principles and including courses which will lend themselves to co-ordination with other studies in the humanities.
Political Science was conducted tutorially in three groups. Next year the combination of teaching of Political Science and Economics will come to an end. Professor Morgan, who has conducted classes in Political Science and Economics, will relinquish teaching of Economics and devote full time to Political Science. This will enable the courses to be increased substantially.
Economics. The instructor reports that the Economics 1 class was the best he had had. He was specially gratified to observe the interest displayed by the engineering and household science students for whom it is a compulsory subject.
More courses will be available next year but the new programme will not be determined until the new professor has been consulted.
Mr. G. K. Goundrey will be taking up appointment in the department at the beginning of the academic year 1954-1955.
Department of Philosophy
The process of establishing this new department, opened in 1952-1953, has gone on satisfactorily. The students are still finding out what it is all about, and the professor is experimenting with courses in search of the best patterns of study for classes lacking philosophical preparation and comprising many students who are taking the subject as a required part of a course.
Department of Physical Education
The Department has had a most satisfactory start under its new Director. Some difficulties of time-table prevented all first-year Arts and Science students from completing the Physical Education requirement, which lack will be made up in the second year.
The director reports that the majority of students are most enthusiastic and seem to enjoy the physical education classes. This has been evident in the greatly increased voluntary participation. It is most encouraging to witness students learning new physical skills and getting so much enjoyment and pleasure in using these skills in games and activities with fellow students.
Mr. Douglas Eaton joined the Faculty as Director of this Department at the beginning of the academic year.
Department of Education
The number of students in the first year who passed the full examination was alarmingly low. A number who failed are eligible for supplementary papers. If the majority of those writing supplementary papers pass, the result may be regarded as fairly satisfactory in view of the fact that there is very little selection of students.
In the second and third years, the results were progressively better.
It is felt that first-year students in Education have too heavy a burden of studies. If an attempt is made to lighten the load, it seems obvious that some "extras" will have to be discontinued, for these could not be retained in place of activities such as Art and Singing, for which provision is made in the curriculum of the schools.
The Department administered Intelligence Tests to all first-year students, thus making available confidentially to the Faculty another means of evaluating the ability of the students. Experience shows that this piece of information correlates well with the achievement of well-prepared, earnest, and industrious students.
The Teachers Service Bureau continues to operate and through it many teachers are given assistance in solving their many and varied problems.
The members of the Department met with the school supervisors during their conference in January to discuss problems of mutual interest to both groups. This year the groups confined themselves in their discussions to the curriculum of teacher education.
Miss Helen Lodge attended the sessions of the Atlantic Provinces Regional Conference on Teacher Education in April. The thinking and practice in the area of teacher education at Memorial created much interest at the meetings.
The various phases of the programme "Observation and Student Teaching" were carried out again this year. They are based in the thesis that practice illuminates theory, and demonstrate the value of the more extensive programmes introduced six years ago. This part of the work would be impossible without the assistance and cooperation of the principals and staff of the city schools.
Mrs. Mary Kennedy resigned her post, and Miss Ethel King, who came to us from the University of Alberta was appointed Assistant Professor. Mr. W. G. Rowe was granted sabbatical leave and was replaced by Mr. C. Ivany. Mr. Ivany will be added to the Department staff for the next academic year.
On the whole the students were more industrious than last year and this was particularly in evidence among third year men. Firms were cooperative again this year and arranged conducted tours of their plants for student classes. The twelve o'clock Saturday morning Engineering Seminar has now become a popular period in the week. Each student takes part in the year's programme.
The Survey Camp for 1953 was held in St. John's with eighteen students in attendance. Field exercises were planned, to extend the survey of the new campus site.
The Nova Scotia Technical College Senate held two meetings during the past year, the annual meeting in December and the meeting on Engineering Curricula in the Spring. These meetings which bring together the Heads of Engineering Departments in the Atlantic Provinces provide an excellent opportunity to keep in touch with each other and to exchange ideas on common problems.
It has always been the Department's policy to secure summer employment for students and all interested students obtained work again this summer.
Substantial progress is anticipated in the next year. An additional man in the Department will allow more individual supervision of the laboratory and will enable further expansion of worthwhile activities such as field trips and field work. It will also make it possible to hold more frequent tests.
The new engineering laboratory will accommodate fifty-two students as compared with thirty-six students in the present quarters.
Mr. A. Nemec has been appointed to the Department of Engineering for the beginning of the next Calendar year.
The year now closing has been one of exceptional progress for the Library. Over 2,500 volumes have been received and about half this number have been classified and catalogued. Important additions have been the ENCYCLOPEDIA AMERICANA, THE DICTIONARY OF NATIONAL BIOGRAPHY and the monumental tool that is a necessary part of all scholarly libraries, the LIBRARY OF CONGRESS CATALOG. Those sections of the Library which have received special attention are Language and Literature, Pure and Applied Science and the Social Sciences.
The average number of books on loan at any one time was about five hundred. In general it would appear that the students use the Library quite well although, of course, there is room for vast improvement.
The work of classifying and cataloging does not in any library keep pace with the additions that are being received and there is also a considerable amount of remedial backwork that must be done in order to make the catalogue the master key, that it should be, to the Library's holdings. In spite of this, however, as has been observed above, more than half of the books received during the year have been classified, catalogued, and otherwise prepared for circulation.
The Library is at present receiving about 240 periodicals. Steady progress is being made in supplementing the Carnegie Music Set with Long Playing Records. The collection of non-musical recordings is also growing and special efforts are under way for getting good recordings of plays and of poetry and in particular of poets reading their own verse.
During the year the congestion in the Library was temporarily relieved by the acquisition of a second storage room in the basement. Here was placed old uncatalogued material awaiting further processing. It also became necessary to remove from the Main Reading Room to the Monitor Room the Carnegie Art Reference set. The Music set, which is also under the jurisdiction of the Library, has already been put there and it is now planned to place around three walls of this room book cases to hold from two to three thousand volumes.
Miss Margaret Williams was added to the Library staff at the beginning of the Calendar year. Miss Agnes O'Dea, who previously was on part-time duty will in future be a full-time member of the staff.
Celebrate Memorial Home | History | The 50's | 1954