A living memorial
Memorial University College was established in 1925 as a living memorial to the Newfoundlanders who had lost their lives on active service during the First World War.
It was later rededicated to also encompass Newfoundland's war dead of the Second World War.
In all, 310 former students of the Memorial University College offered themselves for active service in the Second World War, 1939-1945. Thirty of these students lost their lives. Their names are recorded in the front of the University Calendar each year.
A plaque erected by the Newfoundland Command of the Royal Canadian Legion in the Arts and Administration Building at Memorial's St. John's campus includes this dedication:
This University was raised by the People of Newfoundland as a Memorial to the fallen in the Great Wars 1914-1918 and 1939-1945, that in freedom of learning their cause and sacrifice would not be forgotten.
The plaque was unveiled by HRH the Princess Royal, Colonel-in-Chief on September 21, 1964 on the occasion of the 50th anniversary of the formation of the Royal Newfoundland Regiment 1914-1919.