Services for visitors
Memorial is not just a great place to work and study - it's an exciting place to visit. Many of Memorial's facilities and services are open to the community.
The St. John's campus has many specialized facilities that will interest people with various interests. These are some of the attractions:
- The Splash Facility on Long pond offers instruction and equipment rental for water sports. For information, call 709-864-3255.
- The D. F. Cook Recital Hall at our School of Music regularly schedules performances featuring our students and faculty, as well as visiting artists.
- The Great Hall at Queen's College features exhibits of Newfoundland archaeology and material culture artifacts. Call 709-864-8869 for exhibit information.
- The Botanical Garden features plants native to the province and cultivated plants suited to the local climate. A trail system allows visitors to view a number of boreal habitats.
- The Smallwood Centre is the hub of campus activity. It's also home to several fast food outlets, a post office, the University Bookstore, and our student bar, the Breezeway - all open to the public.
- The Queen Elizabeth II Library is one of Canada's best university libraries. In addition to its millions of books and periodicals, it houses several specialized collections, including those of the Centre for Newfoundland Studies.
- The Aquarena is an exciting fitness facility, with an Olympic-size pool (complete with a tube slide and the largest indoor water slide east of West Edmonton Mall), a warm-water toddler pool, diving towers and a swinging rope, a health and fitness centre, aerobics rooms - and a Tim Hortons franchise. Please call 709-864-3799 for schedule information.
The west coast
Grenfell Campus in Corner Brook welcomes visitors and alumni to its campus to take advantage of its attractions and services.
The Bonne Bay Marine Station invites you to discover the amazing sea life in the unique coastal environment of Bonne Bay, Gros Morne National Park. Located on the water's edge in Norris Point, the station offers guided tours of its aquarium, daily June -Sept. Observe marine plants and animals, learn about our latest research and get your hands wet among the sea stars, hermit crabs and other curious critters in our touch tank. Please call 709-458-2550 for further information, group/school bookings and off-season hours of operation.
The Marine Institute
The Marine Institute is home to the latest in marine technology and research and it too welcomes tour groups and visitors.
Are you looking for a conference venue? Would you like to stay in university residences during your visit? With various types of residence rooms, dining facilities, and technology support, the St. John's campus is an ideal site. Our Conference Office can assist you with information and reservations. The same is true of our campus in Corner Brook.