Creating a page
To create a new page in Site Builder click the “Create New Page” tab at the bottom of the Manage Content section, then click the "Create New Page" button that appears below it.
This will take you to the “Add Content” page, which has several blank text fields and form items. These fields are where you enter the essential information for your site. All the fields should be filled out (the "Related Links" field is optional). If they are not filled out, or filled out improperly, Site Builder will prompt you to fix them (you will see an error message in a yellow box, see below).
- Step 1: Title – This is the title of your page. It appears in the top left of the browser window when the page loads. Choose a title that is appropriate to the content and capitalize the first letter.
- Step 2: File Name – The file name is what appears in the list of files in the "Manage Content" section of Site Builder. The file name is used to link pages to the web page.
*Note: use intuitive file names (try and use name similar to title of page for easty future editing.)
- Step 3: Template – Site Builder currently offers two templates for your sites. The default is a three column design, a place for "Departmental Links" (See Content - Departmenal Links) on the right side of the page you create. The other does not. Both templates have a menu on the left of the page.
- Step 4: Include Graphic File – This button is set to "Yes" by default, allowing you to add a picture to the content area, which is located on the right side of the page.
*Note: The picture can be any height, but must be 150 pixels in width, and the alingment of the image cannot be adjusted. Use the browse button to select an appropriate picture.
Alt Tag –An alt tag is text which appears when a user places his or her mouse over a picture displayed in a web page. This is usually a short description of the graphic file you uploaded. It is required if you are adding a graphic file.
- Step 5: Content – This is the actual text that appears on your page. Site Builder has a WYSIWYG (What you see is what you get) or TinyMCE editor for easy web page creation. No knowledge of HTML (HyperText Markup Language) is needed to use it. Simply enter your text and format it using the editor buttons. The editor is similar to a word processor such as Microsoft Word or Corel WordPerfect. A more detailed explanation of The TinyMCE Editor is available.
- Step 6: Related Links (optional) – "Related Links" allows you to add links to pages related to the content of your page. You can highlight relevant pages within your site or point to interesting external sites or useful files. The links will appear on the top-right of a finished page as in the example below.
At the bottom of the page you will see a series of blanks spaces under the headings of Link Text and Link URL. (If these spaces are not already visible, click on “Related Links” in the gold bar on the left.) Type the text you want to appear (ex: “"Memorial University of Newfoundland" below) in the left space and then insert the web page address, or URL (including http://) in the space at the right. Do the same for each link that you want to add.
- Step 7: Save Content Page – Your final step will be to save the page you have created. If there are any required fields that you have not entered, the page will not save, and Site Builder will ask you to fill in the appropriate information. Once your page is saved you will be taken to the Manage Content section of Site builder. Your newly created page will be listed there.