Capitalize specific international, national and provincial government departments, ministries, agencies, boards etc., including short forms of the proper name.
- Newfoundland and Labrador Department of Education
- B.C. Highways Ministry
- Canada Post Corp. (on first reference), Canada Post (on subsequent references)
- Newfoundland Liquor Corporation
Capitalize cabinet portfolios only as part of a title directly preceding a name.
- Health Minister Tony Clement; but Tony Clement, federal minister of health
Lower case the cabinet member’s title in subsequent reference and when it stands alone.
- Finance Minister Bernard Hannon addressed the House of Commons yesterday.
- The finance minister spoke again about the budget he released last week.
Capitalize descriptions of the department or ministry that refer to their proper name, even when they stand alone.
- The cuts will affect Justice and Communications.
- Over 25 years, she worked in Archives, Housing and Natural Resources.
Lower case common nouns related to government ministries standing alone and in a group (plural references), and in subsequent references.
- the department, a ministry spokesperson, board members, the authority
- the departments of Justice and Defence