REF NO.: 69
|SUBJECT:||Memorial University to host week-long celebration of public engagement|
|DATE:||Feb. 4, 2013|
Memorial University is launching its new Public Engagement Framework with a week of events celebrating public engagement at Memorial.
Engage Memorial, taking place from Tuesday, Feb. 12, to Friday, Feb.15, will be an opportunity for students, faculty, staff and the general public to learn about the Public Engagement Framework, find out more about Memorials public engagement activities and explore ways of incorporating public engagement into their own activities.
Events are planned for St. Johns, Corner Brook and Happy Valley-Goose Bay. Many of the events will also be webcast or recorded to post online at a later date.
All of the events are free and open to the public, although RSVP is requested in some cases.
· Tuesday, Feb. 12, official launch of the Public Engagement Framework, 11 a.m.-12 p.m., live webcast
The media launch of the Public Engagement Framework will be broadcast live at www.delts.mun.ca/portal/live.php.
· Wednesday, Feb. 12, Labrador/ians on Film screening, 3:30-5 p.m., room 250, College of the North Atlantic, Happy Valley-Goose Bay
The public is invited to view The Far North, a film featuring historic footage of Labrador and Greenland, learn about Memorials new Public Engagement Framework and attend a community reception. This event is presented by the Labrador Institute and The Labrador Film Foundation. No RSVP needed.
· Wednesday, Feb. 13, Public Engagement Workshops and Fair, 8:30 a.m.-3:30 p.m., Bruneau Centre for Research and Innovation,
St. Johns campus
A full day of practical workshop sessions about public engagement, along with booths from Memorial's public engagement support units. Please RSVP.
· Wednesday, Feb. 13, Memorial Presents: Engaging Citizens
The Power of Collaboration in Democracy, 7:30-9:30 p.m., IIC-2001, Bruneau Centre for Research and Innovation, St. Johns campus (in person and live webcast)
A panel of Memorial and international experts will discuss civic engagement in this province and the world. Presentations will be followed by an audience question and answer session and reception. All are welcome to attend in person or watch the live webcast at www.mun.ca/harriscentre. No RSVP needed.
· Thursday, Feb. 14, Words in Edgewise 20/20: Public Engagement, 8-10 p.m., Eastern Edge Gallery, St. Johns
Words in Edgewise 20/20 will challenge some of Memorials best and brightest to fit their public engagement stories into the popular Pecha Kucha format: 20 images x 20 seconds = a frantic, often hilarious, night of short, snappy and engaging talks. Admission is free at the 19+ event. No RSVP needed.
· Friday, Feb. 15, Public Engagement Speed Dating, 2-3:30 p.m., The Breezeway, St. Johns campus
Memorial is playing matchmaker, helping Memorial students (undergraduate and graduate) network with some of the most influential and exciting people in
this province. With decision-makers from business, arts, health, not-for-profits and more, this is your chance: ask a question, share your ideas and make a connection! Please RSVP.
· Friday, Feb. 15, Synergy Session: Is Corner Brook an Innovative City? An Assessment of the Citys Innovation Networks, AS-2016, Grenfell Campus, Corner Brook
Join Memorial faculty member Dr. Jose Lam and Ken Carter, director of research and analysis with the Rural Secretariat, as they discuss a research project about innovation networks in Corner Brook. Lunch is provided and parking is available. Please RSVP.
· Friday, Feb. 15, Engage Memorial Wrap-up, 3:30-5:30 p.m., Bitters Pub, St. Johns campus
All members of the Memorial community and the public are invited to a casual wrap-up reception. Meet others who are interested in public engagement and enjoy hors doeuvres and conversation. No RSVP needed.
For more details about all of the events and to learn more about public engagement at Memorial, please visit www.mun.ca/publicengagement.
- 30 -
For more information, please contact Rebecca Cohoe, communications co-ordinator, Memorial University, at 709-864-3739 or firstname.lastname@example.org.