REF NO.: 128
Memorial University crews restored power to its residence complex and adjacent areas on the St. Johns campus at approximately 9 p.m. on Wednesday, Feb. 29. There are some 1,400 students who live in the universitys residences.
A cable malfunction early in the morning of Wednesday, Feb. 29, caused the power failure which affected Paton College and the Burtons Pond Apartments, as well as the universitys Childcare Centre and the adjacent Arts and Culture Centre.
The Dining Hall, located in Paton College, remained open for meals and throughout the day lounge and study space was made available in the University Centre for residence students inconvenienced by the outage.
The power failure did cause some other problems.
A sump pump in Hatcher House in Paton College failed, causing flooding in that residences mechanical room. Repairs are still ongoing on that problem and the 80 students who live there are being accommodated by the university at off-campus sites. It is anticipated that problem will be resolved within the next day.
- 30 -