The Divison of Marketing and Communications provides access to the most up-to-date information released by Memorial University of Newfoundland. Archives of previous news releases are also available.
To access news releases from Grenfell Campus please click here.
REF NO.: 136
SUBJECT: Many federal budget measures will help university; equalization changes a concern
DATE: March 21
• The introduction of a new long-term approach to funding support for postsecondary education.
• Additional support for postsecondary education in the form of an increased transfer in 2008-09 of $800 million within the Canada Social Transfer.
• A new long-term approach to support for training, which will involve an additional investment of $500 million per year beginning in 2008-09.
• A series of research investments, including funding for graduate scholarships, the Canada Foundation for Innovation, CANARIE and Networks of Centres of Excellence.
• Increased funding for the national research granting agencies, with all of it targeted to specific areas of research.
• Additional funding for the indirect costs of research.
• The development of a comprehensive and forward-looking science and technology strategy outlining a multi-year framework for action.
- 30 -