The Divison of Marketing and Communications provides access to the most up-to-date information released by Memorial University of Newfoundland. Archives of previous news releases are also available.
To access news releases from Grenfell Campus please click here.
REF NO.: 125
SUBJECT: Memorial’s St. John’s campus launches Welcome Week for new students
DATE: Sept. 1,2017
Memorial University’s St. John’s campus is welcoming more than 1,900 new undergraduate students for the fall 2017 semester.
“The start of a new academic year is an exciting time as the university community welcomes new and returning students and encourages them to connect, engage and belong at Memorial,” said Dr. Jennifer Massey, director, Student Life.
Dr. Massey urges all new undergraduate students on the St. John’s campus to participate in the Welcome Week events planned for Sept. 3-9.
“Welcome Week is a vibrant program designed to foster a sense of community and enhance the overall well-being of our students,” said Dr. Massey. “This year, through partnerships with academic and administrative units across campus, Memorial will highlight some of the distinctive aspects of the Memorial student experience by creating shared experiences that inspire students to connect and thrive.
Our goal is for all students to start the academic year confident about their decision to come to Memorial, to feel energized and invested in their learning, and motivated to make the most of their time here.”
The full event schedule for Welcome Week is found here.
Photo/video opportunities for journalists:
Sunday, Sept. 3
• 9 a.m.-5 p.m.: Residence move-in day, Hatcher Square, Paton College
• 12:30-1:30 p.m.: Lunch and concert, Hatcher Square, Paton College
Monday, Sept. 4
• 11 a.m.-12:30 p.m.: Welcoming Ceremonies, Field House. Showcases some of Memorial’s students and athletes, featuring performances by the School of Music, MUN Cheerleaders and MUN Latin Ensemble.
• 11 a.m.-4 p.m.: Undergraduate Parent and Family Orientation, IIC-2001, Bruneau Centre for Research and Innovation
Tuesday, Sept. 5
• 9-10:15 a.m.: Academic Matriculation, D.F. Cook Recital Hall, School of Music. Official ceremony welcoming new students to the academic community at Memorial, featuring Dr. Gary Kachanoski, president and vice-chancellor; Dr. Noreen Golfman, provost and vice-president (academic); Dr. Susan Dyer-Knight, chancellor; and other university leaders.
• 11 a.m.-3 p.m.: @MemorialU Fair, University Centre, third floor. Information booths, exhibitors and resources.
Wednesday, Sept. 6
• 10 a.m.-2 p.m.: @MemorialU Fair, University Centre, third floor. Info booths, exhibitors and resources.
• 12-1 p.m.: Instant Choir, University Centre, food court. A pop-up, instant choir featuring voices from across campus. All voices welcome.
Thursday, Sept. 7
• 10 a.m.-2 p.m.: Wellness and Academic Expo, University Centre, third floor. Wellness and academic supports available at Memorial.
• 12-12:30 p.m.: Pop-up Shakespeare, Rose Garden (courtyard between Math, Science and Music buildings. Rain location: Atrium, Arts building). Shakespearean performances on the lunch break.
Friday, Sept. 8
• 11 a.m.-3 p.m.: Tent Gathering, green space between the QEII Library and the Memorial Tower. An opportunity for students, staff and faculty to learn about Aboriginal cultures with throat singing, storytelling and food.
The full schedulefor Welcome Week is here.
- 30 -
For more information, please contact Laura Barron, senior communications advisor, Office of the Deputy Provost (Students) at email@example.com or office: (709) 864-4570; cell: (709) 699-0487.