Professional Development Funding: St. John's & Grenfell Campuses
If you are teaching as a Per-Course Instructor on the St. John's Campus in the Fall semester, you may be eligible to apply for Professional Development funding from MUN and matching funding from LUMUN. Please read on for further information.
The next deadline for the triannual award of the Memorial University of Newfoundland Professional Development Fund For Per-Course Instructors will be
- St. John's Campus: Friday, 15 September [N.B. This is the deadline for the Academic Head to submit the application to the Dean; the PCI should submit the application to the Academic Head before this date. The Dean will forward eligible applications to the Provost by 30 September.]
- Grenfell Campus: Monday, 2 October [N.B. This is the deadline for the PCI to sumbit the application to the Dean, who will forward eligible applications to the Vice-President (Grenfell Campus) by 16 October.]
Submit the following to the Head of your Academic Unit (St. John's Campus) or to the Dean (Grenfell Campus):
- A letter addressed to the Head of your Academic Unit, indicating clearly how the academic conference or other relevant professional development opportunity is related to your employment history (as a Per Course Instructor at Memorial) and to your usual teaching assignment.
- Any supporting documentation on the professional development opportunity (e.g.,notice of a conference or training opportunity, notice of acceptance at a conference, any known associated costs, etc.)
- A completed Travel Request Form (available also from the Department of Financial and Administrative Services (AA2022)
a. ST. JOHN'S CAMPUS: the deadline for applications for this round of funding is 15 September 2017; applications shall be submitted by the Head of the Academic Unit to the appropriate Dean by this date. GRENFELL CAMPUS: the deadline for this round of funding is 2 October N.B. instructors on the St. John's Campus should be mindful of the extra step in the approval process.
b. you must be on the Seniority List in the academic unit; if you are on the Probationary List, you are not eligible for funding.
c. you must hold a Per Course Instructor appointment at the time of application
d. if you were hired under clause 13.08 of the MUN-LUMUN Collective Agreement, you are not eligible for an award.
e. the academic conference or relevant professional development opportunity must be related to your employment history (as a Per Course Instructor at Memorial) and your usual teaching assignment
f. if your costs exceed $500 – the maximum award from the Vice-President (Academic) – LUMUN may contribute up to $500 towards your costs. Contact the union for more information.
g. you will be asked to provide a detailed account of the costs, as well as the relevant receipts
h. once an application for funding is approved, you shall have up to 8 months from the date of approval to use the funds
i. in cases where demand for professional development funds exceeds the availability of funds, the VPA shall give priority to applications on the following basis:
1. Requests to present a paper at an academic conference or to present creative works or performances in an equivalent context
2. Requests to participate in a panel discussion at an academic conference
3. Applicants who have not previously received professional development funds
4. Applicants who have not previously received professional development funds in the past three years
5. If all of the above are equal, the applicant’s seniority will be the deciding factor