This week we made some headway in finding the edges of the house. We have most of the corners found, but we’re still looking for some more. I found a key part of the wall this week. Phoebe found a nice niche and some floor, Lisa put me next to her and I found more of the sleeping platform and what looks to be one of the corners. We also had to take out more trees and add units, these are deep, the soil is denser and also they are filled with huge roots! Everytimg we take the sod off our unit, we do a survey of the roots and try to decide the best way to get them out. Pheobe had one of the biggest! I think the root was bigger than the tree trunk itself! For the most part of this week we were all in the west side of the house, trying to find the end – the walls, with Laura concentrating largely on the entrance passage, which is the at the north east side of the house. The crew and I came in this weekend, they left yesterday. They will be finishing the units, there are about 10 left to do, and maybe put a few more in. They’ll soon begin taking the collapsed rocks out of the house and Robyn will begin mapping the floor. It looked open when I left Friday, but I have a feeling it’s going to look even cooler when I get back (I forgot to mention that this is my fisrt dig!).
Some of the interesting and imfortant finds of the week were:
minature soapstone pot – Me
Gaffe, ulu, hook (same unit) – Pheobe
Endblade – Andrew
and more but they are escaping me right now. So we’ve got about ten days left, they’ll be hetic and stressful but they’ll pay off in the end! This week is supposed to be better for digging also, last week was extremely hot! We got off early one day so we could go into the ocean! So this week in the lab should be interesting, I knew Chelsea and Brandon before, they’re sure to keep me on my toes!