Service Name: Virtual Private Network Access - VPN
Virtual private network (VPN) provides offsite users secure remote access to files shares and other IT resources normally only accessible from on campus. VPN achieves this by building an encrypted virtual 'tunnel' between the remote user's device and the University's internal network.
- VPN account and installation software
- Available for Windows, Mac and Apple iOS (iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch)*
*Please note that VPN access on Apple iOS devices requires you to have a Memorial Exchange Email account.
How to request this service:
- Fill out a VPN Application online form and submit it to the C&C Service Desk. Your request will be subject to review and approval by our IT Security Officer.
- Contact the C&C Service Desk if you require additional information or have a problem with your account need :
Service Desk Standard Hours of Operation:
- Monday to Friday - 7:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- (Summer hours - 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.).
- Service requests can also be submitted via completion of an online form.
Out of Scope:
- Not available on personally owned PC or Mac computers.
- Not available on iOS devices – iPad, iPhone or iPod Touch- without a Memorial Exchange Email account.
- Not available during Service Maintenance Windows:
- Two hours each Tuesday from 0500 until 0700
- Two hours each Tuesday from 2400 until 0200 (Wednesday)
- This is a 24/7 Service except during Service Maintenance Windows.
- Service Maintenance Windows:
Tuesday from 0500 until 0700
Tuesday from 2400 until 0200 (Wednesday).
- An appointment is scheduled within a week
- Encryption process takes two days.
- Installation is completed within one business day.
Processes and Tools:
- Complete the VPN form and submit it to the C&C service desk for approval
- Once approved, drop off device to PCG support desk at the scheduled time.
Accountabilities and Key Roles:
- Service Desk is the point of contact for clients requesting VPN service and it’s responsible for recording and tracking requests.
- Personal Computing Group (PCG) is responsible for receiving laptops during appointment time and installing VPN software.
Key Performance Indicators:
- Client satisfaction based on client survey.
- Service availability and uptime.
- Time it takes to close a support incident.
- Number of VPN requests per year.
Revision: January 2014
Service Owner: IT Security Officer, IT Security Group