Service Name: Usenet News
The Department of Computing and Communications (C&C) provides a News service as part of the world-wide Usenet UUCP network. The service integrates campus, local, regional and global collections of articles based on a hierarchy of article types.
How to request this service:
- Service requests are logged and tracked to completion via the Remedy incident management system.
Out of Scope:
- Support on article content.
- This is a low priority service available 7/24/365 with some exception during maintenance or upgrades periods.
- Service outages are managed through the RFC ITIL process.
- This is a low priority service supported Monday to Friday 8:30am to 5pm.
- Requests to add newsgroups must follow the procedures outlined on the support webpage.
- This is a lower priority service, and as such requests for changes are handled bi-weekly at best, or as triggered by client request.
Processes and Tools:
- Usenet news control messages are handled by Technical Support Group support staff.
- Control messages contain pre-approved command sequences that are implemented via News control program on the News server.
- Control messages can be executed by suitably-privileged users.
Accountabilities and Key Roles:
- The Service Desk provides front-line client liaison
- The Technical Support Group assigns service role specialists
Key Performance Indicators:
- Number of groups,
- Number of news readers,
- Number of articles delivered.
Revision: December 2009
Service Owner: Technical Support Group - Randy Dodge, Manager