Service Name: Software Licensing
Memorial University has a large number of users of desktop publishing and statistical analysis software programs. As a means to significantly reduce acquisition costs, the IT Procurement Office (ITP) negotiates volume license agreements with vendors, and coordinates the installation and renewal of these software licenses. End users can purchase software licenses from ITP and have them installed on their computers, either by IT support staff from their respective department, or staff from Client Services. The licenses represent significant cost savings versus academic and retail packaged copies of the software.
- Some examples of software licenses currently available from IT Procurement include Microsoft (Office applications) Adobe (Acrobat, and Creative Cloud applications), Corel (Wordperfect, and Draw) , SPSS, Minitab, Maple, SAS, Nvivo, ESRI ArcGIS, Matlab and McAfee. Other software manufacturers offer volume licenses by request.
How to request this service:
By phone, fax, email, online or in-person
Who can avail of this service:
- Available to all university departments.
- Select licenses are available to students, faculty and staff on a personal basis including Microsoft Office and McAfee VirusScan for FREE.
- Hours of operation are Monday – Friday, 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
- Service is available by phone, fax or in person during open hours.
- Requests made in person or by telephone are addressed immediate.
- Email and fax requests are responded to within one business day.
- In-stock products at ITP take 2 business days to process.
- Out-of-stock products at ITP that are in-stock at supplier take 7 business days.
- Out-of-stock products at ITP and supplier will take 14 business days. Extenuating circumstances may cause further delays (e.g. shipping or manufacturing delays)
Processes and Tools:
- Request is initiated by the end user when new licenses are being purchased.
- Site license renewals are initiated by ITP staff and notification is sent to the end user.
- An ITP requisition is generated as a result of the request which contains the software license(s) to be purchased or renewed.
- Once the requisition is processed with appropriate signatures and account code (FOAPAL), a service request is created by ITP staff which initiates the installation process for Client Services staff or departmental IT staff. A time is arranged between Client Services or IT staff and the end user for installation. Note that FOAPAL is the acronym representing the six independent elements of the University’s Chart of Accounts: Fund, Organization, Account, Program, Activity and Location.
Accountabilities and Key Roles:
- ITP staff facilitate end user purchases and renew appropriate software licenses based on user needs.
- ITP Manager ensures timely service is provided.
- Client Services Manager ensures adequate response time for software installation.
Key Performance Indicators:
- Web page feedback
- Email feedback
- In person feedback from clients
Revision: July 2017
Service Owner: IT Procurement Manager