Individual Tax Number
Instructions for certification of Individual Tax Number (ITN) Application (T1261):
International students studying at Memorial University who wish to file an income tax return to receive the HST credit and report their education amounts and who do not work in Canada are required to apply for an Individual Tax Number (ITN) because they are not eligible to apply for a Social Insurance Number (SIN). The Canada Revenue Agency requires that the supporting documentation for this application be certified by a local official.
- Instructions for students:
- Complete form T1261
- Photocopy all passport pages showing name, photo, and date of birth.
- Bring all documents to one of the following local officials for certification (doctors, accountants, lawyers, teachers or officials in a federal department or a provincial ministry).
- Instructions for local officials to certify documents for ITN Applications (doctors, accountants, lawyers, teachers or officials in a federal department or a provincial ministry):
- Verify the name and photo represent the person presenting the documents.
- Write the following on the photocopy of the photograph:
- "I certify that this is a good likeness of (name of student)"
- Include your signature, title and contact information.
For further information, please contact the Canada Revenue Agency's International Tax Services office at 1-800-267-5177.