Information for Researchers
MUN Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences Resources
Follow us on social media
Like us on Facebook
Primary contact: Heather C. O'Brien, Grants Coordinator
Approval Processes for Grant, Postdoctoral Fellowship, Contract, or Agreement Applications
Submission procedures for most individual opportunities are outlined on the relevant entry in the Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences (HSS) Research Funding Tracker (RFT) found here: HSS Research Funding Tracker
For most internal AND external competitions (exceptions to these procedures are outlined in the Research Funding Tracker), the submission process is as follows. If you are not sure, you may check with Heather C. O’Brien.
Steps to Submit an Application:
1) If relevant, secure documentation for all cash and/or in-kind contributions that the Department/Faculty/other University units/external parties are committing. You MUST have written documentation for each commitment in the form of a letter, e-mail, etc. (see the document “FAQ on obtaining cash and in-kind commitments from Memorial,” below).
2) Complete the relevant grant or other application.
3) Complete the HSS Signatory Form.
4) Submit the application, relevant documents, and the HSS Signatory Form to your Department Head for sign-off.
5) By the HSS deadline, submit a .pdf copy of the application, relevant supporting documents, and the HSS Signatory Form to the HSS Grants Coordinator. Electronic signatures are accepted.
Please note: All co-applicants at Memorial must complete their unit's signatory form (i.e., co-applicants in HSS should fill out the HSS form; co-applicants in Science should fill out the Science form, etc.). If a co-applicant is not from Memorial, for grants we only require a form if cash or in-kind contributions are coming from that co-applicant's university; in this case, the external co-applicant could use our form, or a similar form developed by their institution that has an appropriate signing authority endorsement.
HSS Submission Deadlines
For external grant competitions, postdoctoral fellowships, contracts, and agreements, approval forms should be submitted by noon at least 10 business days prior to external deadlines.
For Memorial internal grant competitions, approval forms should be submitted by noon at least 5 business days prior to internal university competition deadlines.
Last updated September 22, 2017
SSHRC Grant Template Packages (highly recommended)
We have developed detailed information, tips, and Word templates for all attachments and textboxes for the major SSHRC competitions (Insight Development Grants; Insight Grants; Connection Grants; Partnership Development Grants). Use of the templates is highly recommended, and typically results in success rates that double the national average when combined with taking advantage of the comprehensive review service. To obtain the latest templates, please email firstname.lastname@example.org from your MUN account and Kelley will send you a zip file containing the templates, a blank application (in case the online form is not available), budget advice documents/FAQs, and sign-off information. PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS TEMPLATE PACKAGE IS ONLY FOR DISTRIBUTION WITHIN MEMORIAL UNIVERSITY and we cannot fulfill requests from other universities. We will happily share the templates with other Units, Schools, and Faculties on all Memorial campuses, with the understanding that the templates will not be posted online or distributed outside of Memorial, and that attribution will be given to the Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences.
Grant Writing Resources and Documents
This FAQ discusses when your letters of intent require sign-off.
Last updated July 28, 2016
The Grants Facilitator can help you create a plan to become a more competitive candidate, identify a fundable project, find an appropriate funding agency, craft a targeted application, re-spin an unsuccessful application for the next round, and more. Further details can be found in this document.
Last updated September 17, 2014.
The goal of the Senior Grants Facilitation Officer is to increase the number and success rate of grant applications submitted by the Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences. By far, the biggest problem is convincing people that they should apply for grants in the first place. This handout addresses 5 common myths about research funding in the Humanities and Social Sciences.
Last updated November 4, 2016.
This FAQ describes what you should include in your budget, and how you should justify it.
Last updated September 26, 2016
This FAQ describes the various cash and in-kind commitments that are possible to obtain from Memorial and the steps you should take to secure these commitments before you fill out the grant application.
Last updated September 15, 2016
A manual with details on all sections of the CCV.
Last updated June 25, 2013
A guide for attaching your SSHRC CV using the old SSHRC web-based forms systems. For attaching the new CCV, see the Slides from the CCV workshop, above.
Last updated November 5, 2012
A guide for invited partners which explains how to accept an invitation and fill out the partner section using the old SSHRC web-based forms system.
Last updated September 26, 2016
Funding Opportunities: HSS Research Funding Tracker
Our most up-to-date funding opportunities are listed here. Feel free to browse the database to locate new funding opportunites or search the database for a specific opportunity. Each entry explains submission procedures and lists relevant deadlines including HSS internal deadlines, RGCS internal deadlines, and the external, granting agency's deadline.
Last updated September 28, 2017
Workshop and Presentation Slides
Please note that some of these files are password-protected. For access, please email email@example.com.
Slides can be found on our Workshop Page.
- Memorial Researcher Portal Tools and Resources
- RGCS Research Funding Opportunities Database
- SGS Searchable Awards and Scholarships Database
- All of MUN's published policies
- MUN's policy on Integrity in Scholarly Research
- MUN's policy on Intellectual Property
- QEII Library's information on Research Data Management
- MUN's policy on Indirect Costs of Externally Funded Research
- Laboratory Safety at Memorial
- MUN's policy on Institutional Animal Care
- Technology Transfer and Commercialization Office
- Mun's policy on the Ethics of Research Involving Human Participants
- Radiation Safety at Memorial
- SSHRC upcoming deadlines page
- NSERC upcoming deadlines page
- CIHR upcoming deadlines page
- International Scholarships (Gov. of Canada)
- CIHR Institute of Gender and Health's Sex and Gender Modules
- CIHR's TCPS2 Tutorial Course on Research Ethics (CORE)
- Rei-Agency Framework: Responsible Conduct of Research
- SSHRC: Intellectual Property
- NSERC: Intellectual Property
- CIHR: Intellectual Property
- NSERC: Eligible use of grant funds
- Tri-Agency Financial Administration Guide