Research Support Services
Memorial University's Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences Research Support Services
Follow us on social media:
Primary contact: Heather C. O'Brien, Grants Coordinator
Approval Processes for Grant, Postdoctoral Fellowship, Contract, or Agreement Applications
Submission procedures for most individual opportunities are outlined on the relevant entry in the Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences (FHSS) Research Funding Tracker (RFT) found here:
For most internal AND external competitions (exceptions to these procedures are outlined in each opportunity's entry in the Research Funding Tracker), the submission process is as follows. If you are not sure, you may check with Heather C. O’Brien.
Steps to Submit an Application:
1) If relevant, secure documentation for all cash and/or in-kind contributions that the Department/Faculty/other University units/external parties are committing. You MUST have written documentation for each commitment in the form of a letter, e-mail, etc. (see the document “FAQ on obtaining cash and in-kind commitments from Memorial”).
2) Complete the relevant grant or other application. If you are starting a contract, begin at step 3.
3) Create a new Researcher Portal application (please note that if you do not have a RP account, you must create one first by requsting one here) and be sure to search for and add the following people as "Team Members:" 1) Workflow Coordinator, 2) Heather C. O'Brien, 3) Kelley Bromley-Brits, and 4) if deemed necessary by your department, your departmental administrative assistant. You can add team members within your application's "Project Team Info" tab.
4) Upload all documentation to the "Attachments" tab including a copy of the application/proposal, supporting documents for cash and in-kind commitments, letters of support, etc.
5) When you have filled in all of the tabs within the application, press "Submit." This will send the application to your Department Head for approval, then it will go to the Associate Dean (Research) for administrative review, and finally it will go to Research Grant and Contract Services (some exceptions apply). Be aware of FHSS internal deadlines - you must press "submit" by these dates and times.
Please note: All co-applicants/co-investigators from Memorial who are on an external institution's application must also create a new Researcher Portal application for that grant. If you have questions about this process, please refer to the training manuals or submit a help ticket.
FHSS Submission Deadlines
For external grant competitions, postdoctoral fellowships, contracts, and agreements, you must press "submit" within the Researcher Portal by noon at least 10 business days prior to external deadlines.
For applicable Memorial internal grant competitions, you must press "submit" within the Researcher Portal by noon at least 5 business days prior to internal university competition deadlines. Check the Research Funding Tracker for the opportunity's submission details.
List of major 2018 external grant opportunties and relevant FHSS deadlines: 2018 Deadlines for External Grants
List of 2018 internal grant opportunties and relevant FHSS deadlines: 2018 Deadlines for Internal Grants
The FHSS Signatory Form may be necessary for certain competitions. Please contact the Grants Coordinator if you are unsure whether you need this form or not: Grants/Contracts FHSS Signatory Form (Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences)
Last updated September 22, 2017
SSHRC Grant Template Packages (highly recommended)
We have developed detailed information, tips, and Word templates for all attachments and textboxes for the major SSHRC competitions (Insight Development Grants; Insight Grants; Connection Grants; Partnership Development Grants). Use of the templates is highly recommended, and typically results in success rates that double the national average when combined with taking advantage of the comprehensive review service. To obtain the latest templates, please email email@example.com from your Memorial account and Kelley will send you a zip file containing the templates, a blank application (in case the online form is not available), budget advice documents/FAQs, and sign-off information. PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS TEMPLATE PACKAGE IS ONLY FOR DISTRIBUTION WITHIN MEMORIAL UNIVERSITY and we cannot fulfill requests from other universities. We will happily share the templates with other Units, Schools, and Faculties on all Memorial campuses, with the understanding that the templates will not be posted online or distributed outside of Memorial, and that attribution will be given to the Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences.
Grant Writing Resources and Documents
The Grants Facilitator can help you create a plan to become a more competitive candidate, identify a fundable project, find an appropriate funding agency, craft a targeted application, re-spin an unsuccessful application for the next round, and more. Further details can be found in this document.
Last updated September 17, 2014.
The goal of the Senior Grants Facilitation Officer is to increase the number and success rate of grant applications submitted by the FHSS. By far, the biggest problem is convincing people that they should apply for grants in the first place. This handout addresses 5 common myths about research funding in the Humanities and Social Sciences.
Last updated November 4, 2016.
This FAQ describes what you should include in your budget, and how you should justify it.
Last updated September 26, 2016
This FAQ describes the various cash and in-kind commitments that are possible to obtain from Memorial and the steps you should take to secure these commitments before you fill out the grant application.
Last updated January 10, 2018
A manual with details on all sections of the CCV.
Last updated June 25, 2013
A guide for attaching your SSHRC CV using the old SSHRC web-based forms systems. For attaching the new CCV, see the Slides from the CCV workshop, above.
Last updated November 5, 2012
A guide for invited partners which explains how to accept an invitation and fill out the partner section using the old SSHRC web-based forms system.
Last updated September 26, 2016
Funding Opportunities: FHSS Research Funding Tracker
FHSS's most up-to-date funding opportunities are listed here. Feel free to browse the database to locate new funding opportunites or search the database for a specific opportunity. Each entry explains submission procedures and lists relevant deadlines including FHSS internal deadlines, RGCS internal deadlines, and the external, granting agency's deadline.
Last updated September 28, 2017
Workshop and Presentation Slides
Please note that some of these files are password-protected. For access, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Slides can be found on our Workshop Page.
Memorial University Resources
- Researcher Portal (RP), human ethics applications, animal care training, RP training manuals, and help ticket
- Researcher Portal Help Ticket
- Request a Memorial Researcher Portal Account
- Research, Grant and Contract Services (RGCS) Research Funding Opportunities Database
- School of Graduate Studies (SGS) Searchable Awards and Scholarships Database
- Research Awards and Honours Database
- CREAIT, CRC, and CFI Services (CCCS)
- Database of Memorial's policies (searchable)
- Policy on Integrity in Scholarly Research
- Policy on Intellectual Property
- QEII Library's information on Research Data Management
- Policy on Indirect Costs of Externally Funded Research
- Laboratory Safety
- Policy on Institutional Animal Care
- Technology Transfer and Commercialization Office
- Policy on the Ethics of Research Involving Human Participants
- Radiation Safety
- SSHRC upcoming deadlines page
- NSERC upcoming deadlines page
- CIHR upcoming deadlines page
- Tri-Agency Financial Administration Guide
- International Scholarships (Gov. of Canada)
- CIHR: Institute of Gender and Health's Sex and Gender Modules
- CIHR: TCPS2 Tutorial Course on Research Ethics (CORE)
- Tri-Agency Framework: Responsible Conduct of Research
- SSHRC: Intellectual Property
- NSERC: Intellectual Property
- CIHR: Intellectual Property
- NSERC: Eligible use of grant funds
- SSHRC: Guidelines for Effective Research Training