The Henrietta Harvey Distinguished Lecture Series brings highly-regarded scholars to Memorial University. Established as part of the Henrietta Harvey Endowment Fund in 1964, the series has provided our faculty, students and public with tremendous insight and the opportunity to share knowledge.
Mrs. Henrietta Harvey (1878-1964) left a significant gift to Memorial University. Her bequest funds continue to enrich our community. Each year, this fund allows Memorial to bring in three or four distinguished lecturers not only to speak to the larger community about issues of interest and importance, but also to spend time in discussion with faculty, students and staff.
Dr. Riley E Dunlap, Oklahoma State University, Sponsored by Department of Sociology, October 1, 2015
Dr. Jeff Malpas, University of Tasmania. Sponsored by Department of Philosophy - September 29, 2014
Dr. Gavin Bridge, Durham University. Sponsored by Department of Geography - January 15, 2015
Dr. Henry Glassie, Indiana University. Sponsored by Department of Folklore - October 3, 2013
Dr. Frederick Newmeyer, University of Washington. Sponsored by Department of Linguistics - February 26, 2013
Dr. Sandra Whitworth, York University. Sponsored by Departments of Political Science and Gender Studies - October 3, 2012
Mrs. Henrietta Harvey was a generous benefactress of Memorial University. Born in Nova Scotia in 1878, she first visited St. John's in 1905, accompanied by her mother. The following year she married John Harvey, a St. John's businessman and an important figure in the advancement of education and the fight against tuberculosis in Newfoundland. Mrs. Harvey was widowed in 1920.
When Mrs. Harvey died in 1964, she left a significant bequest to Memorial University. Among the properties were two letters from Rudyard Kipling (she and the Kiplings were warm friends). Memorial University presented these to the University of Dalhousie library, which already had an extensive Kipling collection.
The generous fund which Mrs. Harvey left to the university has been used, in accordance with her wishes, for the general enrichment of University activities in ways which would not otherwise be possible. It was decided that the benefaction would used be for the endowment of Chairs, to cover the costs of special visiting professors, and for the organization of special conferences and lectures.
While her funds were not used for buildings, Memorial's leadership felt it would be fitting to commemorat e her gift in a tangible way. In 1970, at a special ceremony honouring Harvey, Memorial University Library was officially named the Henrietta Harvey Library. This library was replaced by a new one named in honour of Queen Elizabeth II, which opened in 1982. Today, the Mathematics Building on our campus bears Mrs. Harvey's name.