Terms of Reference
Deadline: April 15
This award recognizes, promotes, and supports outstanding and innovative new faculty researchers at Memorial University of Newfoundland whose work impacts positively on their departments and whose research has the potential to be of significance to society at large.
Up to $50,000 will be awarded each year. There may be one or more recipients of this award in any given year as determined by the applications which are received, reviewed and assessed by the selection committee. The dollar value of each award is to be established by the committee based on the proposals and budgets of those applications selected for award. It is anticipated that the recipient(s) will receive notification of award by August 1.
- Faculty members who have received their first university faculty-level appointment not more than 10 years ago as of the competition deadline and who are engaged in innovative research are eligible to apply or to be nominated.
- The award is open to faculty from all disciplines.
TERM OF AWARD
- The award is not intended to sustain multi-year research. It is offered in support of research activities over a period of one year to eighteen months.
- Capital or operating expenses that further the innovative work proposed are eligible for support.
- Award recipients will be expected to provide Memorial University with a brief summary of how the funds were spent and the status of their research within two years of the date of award including how the project enriched the learning environment and contributed to a specific area of society or to society at large.
Recipients must agree to the publication of the award and their project work. Recipients must also acknowledge the Terra Nova development, which is operated by Suncor Energy, and Memorial in any publication that results from the work supported.
Nominations or applications must be submitted in duplicate to the Office of Research by April 15 and must include:
- A lay summary of the proposed research of not more than 200 words which is suitable for use in the general media
- An abstract not exceeding 250 words which gives a brief summary of the proposal
- A detailed description of the nature of the project being pursued (maximum 5 pages)
- An outline of the need for assistance, with a detailed budget (maximum 2 pages)
- An up-to-date curriculum vitae
- Timelines for the project and expected outcomes as they relate to the project
- Written support of the candidate's head of department and faculty dean/director
- A statement by the nominee or applicant that if awarded he/she accepts the terms of award as stated in this program description
Access to Information and Protection of Privacy
The information on this form is collected under the authority of the Memorial University Act (RSNL 1990 Chapter M-7) and is needed for and will be used to assess your application for the Terra Nova Young Innovator Award. If you have any questions about the collection and use of this information, contact the Internal Grants Co-ordinator, Office of Research Services, at 709-864-8368.
- Selection will be based on: a) overall research promise of the individual; b) quality of the proposal; and c) the impact associated with the award.
- Selection will be made by a committee of the Vice-President (Research), three other individuals appointed by the President, and a representative of Suncor Energy.
- The selection committee has the authority to choose one or more award recipients and to determine the dollar value of the award that each successful applicant is to receive.