Specialization in Maritime History
The Department of History at Memorial University offers a specialization in Maritime History.
Recommended courses include:
- History 2100 (Grenfell Campus only) - Empires of the North Atlantic, 1500-1820. This course will examine European expansion across the Atlantic to North America, the attempt to take possession of that continent through commercial investment and colonies, and the way in which European colonies were transformed into new societies.
- History 2110 - North Atlantic History Since 1820 is a survey of the relations among the regions of the North Atlantic since 1820. Emphasis will be placed on social and economic history.
- History 3680 - North Atlantic Seafaring to 1850 examines the maritime mercantile development of the countries on the Atlantic littoral, 1650-1850.
- History 3690 - North Atlantic Seafaring from 1850 - currently an inactive course.
- Six credit hours from History 4670-4690.
For more information, please contact the general office of the Department of History at (709) 864-8420.