Major in History
Requirements for completing a Bachelor of Arts degree with a major in History
(The following is taken from the 2012/2013 University Calendar section 9.19.1 and is subject to change - please refer to the latest version to ensure accuracy. If there are any discrepancies between this listing and the listing prepared by the Registrar's office, the Registrar's office official listing will be taken as correct.)
- See the Regulations for the General Degree of Bachelor of Arts.
- Any one of History 1009-1015 or the sequence History 1100* and 1101* form the introductions to the theory and practice of history. Third and fourth-year students taking History courses as electives or to satisfy General Regulations for the B.A. Degree are encouraged to enrol in the department's second-year courses. Students cannot receive credit for more than two first-year courses.
- All students who Major in History will be assisted by a faculty advisor who will help them in planning their academic programs. It is essential that students register with the Department at an early stage of their studies.
Students who undertake a Major in History must complete 36 credit hours in History, including:
- Three credit hours in a course beginning with the initial digit '1'. All first-year courses in History are research/writing courses.
- At least 12 credit hours in courses with the initial digit '2' including 3 credit hours in one of History 2200, 2210 or 2400.
- Students should complete at least 9 credit hours in courses with the initial digit '2' before registering in a course with the initial digit '3'. Student should pay particular attention to necessary prerequisites when scheduling courses. In addition, students should obtain advice on the appropriate courses from their faculty advisor.
- At least 9 credit hours in courses with the initial digit '3'. Students must complete History 3840 for which there is a prerequisite of 12 credit hours in History.
- Students should complete at least 3 credit hours in courses with the initial digit '3' before registering in a course with the initial digit '4'.
- At least 6 credit hours in courses with the initial digit '4'.
- Six additional credit hours in courses with an initial digit beyond '1'.
- The following courses may not be used to meet the requirements for a Major in History without the prior written approval of the Head: History 4480, 4800, 4821, 4822, and 4999.
- No more than 15 transfer credit hours in History may be used to fulfil the requirements for a Major in History.
- Some fourth-year courses may require completion of courses in the same topic/subject area. Such prerequisites are at the discretion of the instructor.
Unsure about what to take? Undergraduate students with questions about program of study, degree requirements and academic advice can contact the academic advisor for the Faculty of Arts:
Senior Academic Advisor and Retention Manager
Faculty of Arts
Tel: (709) 864-8363
Also, feel free to contact the history department general office at (709) 864-8420.